Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
~GL Spoilers and Discussion~; Week of September 14/ Finale week
Topic Started: Sep 9 2009, 05:41 AM (2,786 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

I only saw bits and pieces of the last week. At the end of the day, it's sad that it really is over, not because the show has been of any quality for a number of years but because the potential was still there for a recovery (assuming an end to EW's embarrassing production model).

The enjoyment I got out of the finale was largely a result simply of some of the dynamics between the actors and seeing familiar faces as opposed to the writing team having done a good job. They threw in the "there is a destiny that makes us brothers" quote at the beginning of the show, but any attempt to make that message resonate through the story they told was merely superficial.

Perhaps because I have been checked out of the show for so long, I felt the time devoted to characters such as Remy, Christina, and Ashley was excessive. It would have been more sensible to have written characters like that out in the months preceding the wrap-up in order to have fewer and meatier loose ends to tie up at the very end.

Alan's death was a must, but it seemed rush. They should have carefully, deliberately built to it for a year rather than a week.

What was interesting from the cameos was the demonstration that a lot of these people could seamlessly have been reintegrated into the show on a full-time basis. Mindy was window-dressing, but believable window-dressing. I liked the Fletcher/Alex interaction. The Fletcher/Bill moment about Ben was very awkward and not very credible, which is fitting given that Ben's write-off was very awkward and not very credible.

I didn't really understand what they were going for with Blake. Working at Company and hooking up with Frankie? Lazy.

Agree with Dax on Olivia/Natalia and spineless, clueless P&G prohibiting a (gasp) on-screen kiss. But I thought it was a silly story, anyway.

Billy/Vanessa reunion is great but it, too, felt slapdash; again in fairness, I've only seen a handful of episodes.

It was apparent and totally understandable that many of the actors were eager to just get to the finish line already -- it was clearly a physically uncomfortable working environment and one not conducive to actors really practicing their craft, as echoed by the recent comments from Garrett, L. Brown, and others.

Yes, the wrap-up could have been uglier (e.g., no Phillip; Jeffrey all over the place; NuCassie stinking up the joint, etc.), and some of the seeds planted for the future were mildly interesting. The glaring absences to me were Harley and A-M, and endings for others (India, Amanda, Marah, Samantha, Claire, Peter) would've been great, too. And then there is Ross, which really brings me to the point that everything that poisoned this show in the end was self-inflicted: the loss of its identity and related nosedive in the quality of the writing all resulted from conscious decisions by the people running it.

I'm not really sure this week was true farewell to GL; I said goodbye a long time ago and the YouTube-level production values; constant, inappropriate piping in of bad music; and presence of strangers (Karla Mosley and Murray Bartlett are not appropriate swaps for Beth Ehlers and Jerry verDorn) were constant reminders of the fact that this was really a sham masquerading as GL and has been for some time now.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Guiding Light · Next Topic »
Add Reply