Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Twilight; Spoilerish ~ Books & movies discussion
Topic Started: Jul 8 2009, 07:21 AM (2,364 Views)
Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK I thought 'Twilight' deserved it's own thread so we can chat away. I will warn you all that if you haven't read the whole 'Twilight' book series to leave now if you don't want to be spoiled. ;)

Amy, can you tell me WHY you didn't like the last book? I thought it was the perfect ending to the series and made a lot of sense and provided closure without closing the door on more sequels.

Here is a little article I picked up today. Take it for what it's worth ~ "Twilight" Kids Allegedly Pregnant
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Even though I'm only on the third one, I'm not all that worried about the spoilers. I mean......I saw the movie before I even read the first book so of course I knew what was gonna happen. Anyway, I'm so pissed. I took Eclipse into work today to read on my lunch hour and went and LEFT IT THERE!!! Now I have nothing to read tonight before I go to bed.

Arrgghh! :rant:

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gatekeeper
Jul 8 2009, 07:21 AM
OK I thought 'Twilight' deserved it's own thread so we can chat away. I will warn you all that if you haven't read the whole 'Twilight' book series to leave now if you don't want to be spoiled. ;)

Amy, can you tell me WHY you didn't like the last book? I thought it was the perfect ending to the series and made a lot of sense and provided closure without closing the door on more sequels.

Here is a little article I picked up today. Take it for what it's worth ~ "Twilight" Kids Allegedly Pregnant
OK, so here is what I didn't like: it went on for fricking ever, there was so much useless nonsense, the whole sex thing was a bit much considering that it was a teens book (yeah, yeah, she didn't go into detail but did she even need to?) I thought it was just a little too neat and tidy. And I knew in the second book, at the beginning, that they were shapeshifters! I know I am looking at this through the eyes of a 40 something woman and criticizing a teens book, but it didn't sit well with me. It's like she sat down at the computer one day and said "I have to finish this series and I also have to think about dinner, hmmmm, what can I do to tie it all up in a neat little package that ends it and also leave the door open?" And then she typed like hell and embellished too much and we got "Breaking Dawn". I didn't like the way the characters were two dimensional in this book, I didn't like how integral characters were thrown into the background. I didn't like that Leah was dropped like a hot potato.

I guess that is enough for now. Incredibly there are still more things I didn't like about the book. The one thing I really liked was Charlie and Sue Clearwater getting together. And him being so practical about the whole 'thing'.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Amy I agree with a lot of what you said, especially the way Meyers overwrites and pads. If you broke down her plot events, not a whole lot happens.

I really disliked Bella, and was not much interested in her romance with Edward. What I did like about the books was the vampire culture Meyers created (well, maybe not the sparklies), so I'm with you there about the *background* characters. Personally, imo Meyers could have taken the entire series, scrapped Edward and Bella entirely, focused more on the Cullen family and their efforts to integrate in *normal* life, focused more on a romance between Alice and Jasper (who I found infinitely more interesting than B&E),developed conflict between the Cullens, the Denali AK vamps, the other vampire covens, and the Volturi.

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just want to ask who is in KMI's signature and avatar?

I agree the ending was neat and tidy, but sometimes I want neat and tidy so that was okay with me. The sex thing, I could have done without so much of it and I wonder how the fourth movie is going to go since that was such a big part of it. Plus, one thing that I wonder, sorry if it's not appropriate, but Edward is always said to be cold as ice, sooooo (you can fill in the blank).

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Avatar and sig banner (courtesy of Gate!) - the bestest vampire of all, William the Bloody, AKA Spike, from Buffy....

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
lexilou
Jul 9 2009, 05:11 PM
I agree the ending was neat and tidy, but sometimes I want neat and tidy so that was okay with me. The sex thing, I could have done without so much of it and I wonder how the fourth movie is going to go since that was such a big part of it. Plus, one thing that I wonder, sorry if it's not appropriate, but Edward is always said to be cold as ice, sooooo (you can fill in the blank).
I like neat and tidy and I think they wrapped things up very nicely for Edward and Bella so Meyers can now move on to other vampires and stories characters within the Twilight books. See my comments below.

The 'sex thing' didn't bother me at all. Is it appropriate for teenager? Perhaps not but I'm not going to be the one to start censoring books in my house.

LOL Lexilou about Edward being cold as ice! I was thinking the same thing. Ouch?

kmi

Personally, imo Meyers could have taken the entire series, scrapped Edward and Bella entirely, focused more on the Cullen family and their efforts to integrate in *normal* life, focused more on a romance between Alice and Jasper (who I found infinitely more interesting than B&E),developed conflict between the Cullens, the Denali AK vamps, the other vampire covens, and the Volturi.

I would love it if Meyers would go on and write books about the Cullen family and the other vampire covens but I have no problem with her introducing the families in the Twilight series.

I personally loved the series and the epic love story the books produced.

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not sure if I posted this before or not, but she did start to write Twilight from Edward's perspective, but it was leaked so she stopped and in an effort to take back ownership of the draft instead of having it posted by someone other than her, released it to her website, unfinished, for people to read.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMInfinity
Jul 9 2009, 08:42 PM
Avatar and sig banner (courtesy of Gate!) - the bestest vampire of all, William the Bloody, AKA Spike, from Buffy....
And I can attest to that fact since I am now watching and am totally obsessed with the Buffy series and the FABULOUS character of Spike, played by the amazing James Marsters!!! Gate offered to make ME my own Spikey banner but I haven't gotten the pics together yet. But I will!

My hubby was already teasing me because he's on my wallpaper on my computer. :wub:

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
New Moon Movie Website :dance:

mozartkc
Member Avatar
Aloha:)
[ *  *  *  * ]
lexilou

I was thinking "shrinkage":) I hope he had a HUGE one before he was turned otherwise ....poor Bella....."Is it in? Oh! That's where that cold air came from!"lol

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Shooting Stars: 16 Portraits From Comic-Con 2009

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
What is up with Kristin Stewart's new look?! I know she's playing Joan Jett, but seriously, that look is not flattering, imo. And how come no pic of Johnny Depp?

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
mozartkc
Jul 23 2009, 03:52 PM
lexilou

I was thinking "shrinkage":) I hope he had a HUGE one before he was turned otherwise ....poor Bella....."Is it in? Oh! That's where that cold air came from!"lol
I was actually thinking cold and very, very hard.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Meet Jacob Black Preview

Looks great!

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Very cool preview!

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
oooooh, I'm so excited! Tho I'm still partial to Edward :wub1: but Jake looks good too.

Deleted User
Deleted User

What a great preview..looks so much better than the first movie and that Jacob is smokin' hot!
I just finished the 3rd book and have really enjoyed them. They do tend to go on at times. I'm enjoying Bella more with Jacob than with Edward...seems like she has more fun with him.

If I'm not mistaken Breaking Dawn is the next/last one in the series right? I'm going to check online to see if it's even out yet so I can get my library to order it. I'm curious to see if Bella is turned into a vamp. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Breaking Dawn is the last, and it has been out for awhile now. Whether your library has a copy on the shelf currently is another question, you may need to get them to put a hold on a copy so you can actually get it. The wait times for copies at our library was too long for me so I just bought the whole set.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Hi Lexilou, Thank you ;) I checked online and saw the book has been out for awhile. My little library in Paw Paw WV didn't have the second two but were very nice to buy them for me. More than likely I will have to request it for the last one too. I was thinking of looking for it on ebay first though.
Quote Post Goto Top

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow, I'm surprised your library didn't have them! It was nice of them to order the books for you though!

Deleted User
Deleted User

Lexilou I'm in a very rural area. The library is about as big as my kitchen. I could go into town to the bigger library but that would take about an hour and I hate driving that long one way. If the other library has the book they can have it sent to mine but they are very nice about buying requested books.
Quote Post Goto Top

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, I FINALLY finished the entire series! I must say that of all of them, Breaking Dawn was by far my favorite. I've been stretching it out reading just a few pages at night before I turn the light off because I didn't want it to end.

It was funny.....I soooooo didn't want Bella to turn. But when she did, it was way cool how she wasn't a clutz anymore and was so strong. Her joy and amazement at her newfound powers was reminiscent of the first Spiderman movie when Peter Parker discovers his super spidey powers and runs around testing himself, climbing up buildings and leaping from roof to roof. I loved that!

The pregnancy part was tough. I hate pain, hate watching pain on t.v., and definitely don't like reading about it. But it was necessary because Edward would have never turned her otherwise. I didn't like the kid at first but then she grew on me just like she did everyone else. I can't imagine how they would ever cast Renesmee if and when they do the movie. I hope they find some really cute, genius child actor. The Jacob imprinting thing bothered me for about a minute but that passed rather quickly when I realized it wasn't sexual, but more of a deep love and devotion. I love the werewolves!

So now I need to find another good series to read. I think I may start on the Blood series by Tanya Huff. I loved the t.v. series so you KNOW the books must be good.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cheryl
Nov 10 2009, 11:24 PM

I hope they find some really cute, genius child actor. The Jacob imprinting thing bothered me for about a minute but that passed rather quickly when I realized it wasn't sexual, but more of a deep love and devotion.
Well it's about time you join the fun. I'm glad you liked them. At first I had a hard time with the Jacob imprinting but like you Cheryl I got over it fast.

I just wish there were more in the series.

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The imprinting was weird for me for about a second also. I wasn't sure about Bella turning either and how was that going to happen because Edward did not want to do it, but in the end I was happy with the way everything turned out. While I wish there was more to the series, I was left satisfied with the last book.

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gatekeeper
Nov 11 2009, 06:22 AM
Well it's about time you join the fun. I'm glad you liked them. At first I had a hard time with the Jacob imprinting but like you Cheryl I got over it fast.

I just wish there were more in the series.
Hey now......better late than never!!! :bunny:

I went ahead and got the first two Blood books off of ebay. I'm really digging the series thing and that one should keep me busy for a long time.

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Please let us know what you think of the Blood books. I haven't read them yet and I'm not sure how I'm going to like those vampires compared to the Cullens.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Has anyone seen the new movie yet? My son took my granddaughter and while she loved it (she's 8), he said it was pretty bad. Said it was too long and that the last 45 mins it started getting a bit better. But thought it would be better if you saw the wolf more.

I just finished reading the last book, Breaking dawn. Thought it also tended to go on and on but it was interesting. I realize she's writing for a younger audience so the draggy parts didn't really bother me that much. I would like to see how it plays out on the big screen.
Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Going to see New Moon today with my sister. I wasn't a big fan of the books, but like that they got some folks reading, especially said sister who now is borrowing better books from me. Yay for that.

Cheryl, the Huff series was excellent. Even better:

Robin McKinley's Sunshine - (one book, so no series) The best vampire book I've ever read.

Barbara Hambly's two books - Those Who Hunt The Night and Dancing With The Dead - I may have recc'ed them before.

Deleted User
Deleted User

KMInfinity did u go see the movie? What did you think of it? I had been planning on watching when it comes to pay per view but my son thought it was a waste of money and wait for it on HBO.

Curious if it's just a 30 year old male's opinion on what a drag it was.
Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: