Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (9,681 Views)
tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I've never been able to get over seeing Tom Cruise as a snot faced kid and really, I'm not that much older than he is. Not really (cough, cough).

I recognize his talent; I just don't enjoy him. And a co-worker and I had a small celebration when we learned that Katie and Suri had escaped.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jbrr1212
[ *  *  *  * ]
Escaped--yeah thats a good way to put it.

I'm not a big reader but I am considering fifty shades of gray, just because I keep hearing about it everywhere.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
A good friend has been recommending the Jack Reacher books for summer fun reading, but i keep getting behind on fun. :-(

They're filming it in Pgh - my friend is very bitter about the Cruise casting. lol

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am as well. Escaped is a perfect word too.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
While away on vacation I read a lot. I really enjoyed The Day Eight Series (The Reborn, Of Mice & Hitmen, & Spiritual Singularity) by Ray Mazza. I got the first one for free (now $.99) at the Amazon Kindle Store. Here is the link ~ http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Mazza/e/B0098NTXBW/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

They were extremely interesting and refreshing take on computer simulations i.e., a super intelligent human being simulating inside a computer program. Interesting religious undertones and a very satisfying ending to the trilogy. I highly recommend it.

Thursday I have a neighborhood book club and they are reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. I vaguely remember it from middle/high school so I need to re-read it before Thursday.

Fifty Shades of Grey won't be on my reading list. I just have so much other stuff to read and I'm not into that type of stuff. I am more into mystery, horror, etc. I got together with one of my good friends who is very quiet and meek ... totally opposite of me. We 'thought' we were going to be able to exchange books on the Kindle but she had nothing but romance and I have ZERO romance on mine. She read 'Fifty Shades of Grey' and I asked her how it was ... Her response "mild compared to what I read'. LOL ... That definitely shocked me!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm with you on the Grey series, Gate. I am a horny old broad but really prefer sci fi, horror or stuff like Reacher books.
Edited by Krystal, Sep 22 2012, 02:31 PM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate, I got the first one and am enjoying it a lot, but only about 25% into it. I just read another about computers I think it was Fear Index.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Sep 24 2012, 10:35 AM
Gate, I got the first one and am enjoying it a lot, but only about 25% into it. I just read another about computers I think it was Fear Index.
Krystal, you will have to read ALL of them if you want to find out how the story ends. It's like an epic trilogy. I hope you continue to enjoy it. I'll go look up the book Fear Index. ;)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK Gate, I am 3/4 though first one and really loving it. guess I will be infor all 3 for sure.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Sep 25 2012, 03:05 PM
OK Gate, I am 3/4 though first one and really loving it. guess I will be infor all 3 for sure.
Krystal, ff you have them on the Kindle (or use your iPad Kindle reader) I can loan them to you. I 'think' I could figure out how to do it but I think book 2 & 3 were only $4 total. PM me if you want to borrow them. ;)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I bought then (inexpensive) and just finished, hsb will want to read as well. Really great, thanks for the tip.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal, I'm trying to get my husband to read them ( The Day Eight Series) but once I told him it was about computer simulation he backed away. I keep trying to tell him it's not a typical computer geek lover book/series.

I belong to a neighborhood book club and I wanted to put that on the list but apparently I don't get a say in what books we read even though I'm hosting the next book club. :/ I'm not happy.

I just started Déjà Vu (The Saskia Brandt Series Book One) FREE at the Kindle store. So far it's very good. I'll keep you guys posted.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Bummer about the book club, doesn't everyone get to pick? I would think it would be like a round table where everyone got a turn.

This series is very unique. I am tired of same old same old and admit I do limit myself a lot as I like mystery, gory stuff, anything King. Some of the authors who churn them out like Koontz can be good one time and meh another, I have left several I used to enjoy (Baldacci, Preston/Childs, Tammy Hoag) as they just got so repetitive. Then some are one hit wonders too. Could not get into Hunger Games at all. I get the weekend Times and pick things from their book reviews some hits and misses. Love the kindle sample ability.

Reading short story by King for Kindle now (tall grass?) or something, Really a older type scare your socks off King. But short. Bummer. I want 900 pages...

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Oct 9 2012, 05:33 PM
Bummer about the book club, doesn't everyone get to pick? I would think it would be like a round table where everyone got a turn.
I 'thought' everyone got to pick and the person who was hosting got the final say but I was wrong. So they picked the book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It was OK but not something that I wouldn't have read on my own. What really annoyed me was the last book book we read was 'To Kill a Mockingbird" and 1/2 the ladies didn't read it and opted to watch the movie instead. Not sure why they bothered to show up if they didn't read the book. I'm going to host the next book club and then bow out.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah the rules of that bookclub suck. Wonder if there'd be interest here for an online bookclub. We had a GoT one over at TWoP for over a year before it faded out. Everyone picked a book, (given certain parameters) and we read a book every two weeks! (pace was intense... one a month would work better...)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Watching the movie instead of reading the book...that's ridiculous. I think it would depend on how much interest how often there would be a new title. I'd be game.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oooh! I'd love an online book club! I agree that two weeks might not be realistic but I really would love the chance to read something with a group of people!

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Okay lets push this a bit.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sounds like fun! After I finish up school in December I'd be game!

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm game as long as it's a GOOD book. LOL ... I can't read anything I'm not interested in. KMI since it was your idea would you like to throw out titles for the first book? I'll start a separate thread and then we can see if we can all agree on a book. ;)

~~~

Right now I'm reading 'The Season of the Harvest' by Michael R. Hicks and I can't put it down. It's a trilogy but only the 1st 2 are written. Very suspenseful!
Edited by Gatekeeper, Oct 15 2012, 07:20 AM.

Marg
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I would be interested in the book club, depending on the type of books you choose. I'm rather fussy about what I read.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am fussy too, don't like much but action, mystery and horror. Maybe a historical biography. Liked a book called War about Afghanistan, and one called Unbroken (WW 2). Also a non fiction one called methland, a real eye opener that I would make required reading for every young adult in the nation.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sorry Krystal but I'm not into historical biography. I'm strictly a fiction reader. ;)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I read abut 1 non fiction a year, maybe.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate, we could have everyone read Reborn then we'd be heads up on that one! :)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Oct 15 2012, 02:00 PM
Gate, we could have everyone read Reborn then we'd be heads up on that one! :)
Of course I'd like that idea because I thought the book(s) were amazing but I 'think' the trilogy would have to be read as one long book because you can't just read one of them. ;)

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gone Girl is excellent and could be a very thought provoking choice. Plus: I've read a lot of it and could use a motivator to finish.

Falls (somewhat loosely) into the mystery/thriller category. Young cool/hip married couple with a seemingly perfect marriage/life have their world turned upside down when the wife goes missing..... told from the perspective of both husband and wife.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
When you all pick something let me know. I will put it on my Amazon order, which I should get end of October. If I tried to give a list of last ten books I've read it would be various genres.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just read 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn for my neighborhood book club and I wanted to say it was fabulous! An excellent read! It's a mystery/thriller and I really don't want to give too much away but it has some serious twist/turns and is wonderfully written.

Our next neighborhood book club will featuring 'Killing Kennedy' by Bill O'Reilly. I of course have a hard time wanting to buy the book because I detest O'Reilly and won't give him a cent so I'm not sure I will participate. I also had to laugh because I'm the only non-Republican in the hood and they were trying to tell me O'Reilly is a Democrat. Really? I don't think so. I know he is registered at Independent or something and tries to 'pretend' he is fair and balanced but I'm not buying that.

Back to Gone Girl ... I'm going to read Gillian Flynn's other 2 books. Anyone ever read any of her books? Thoughts?

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I wouldn't read O'Reilly's book for $25 an hour.

I'm anxious to read Gone Girl. Haven't read any of Flynn's books (but remember her as a writer for Entertainment Weekly), but have read nothing but high praise for Gone Girl (and the others have good premises, too). I'm sure I'll like it... (mad I missed a $4-for-the-hardcover opportunity over the holidays on Amazon...).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply