Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (9,913 Views)
blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The book I was reading was a Ren Faire mystery series. It is fun for what it is. I also read a Flower Shop mystery in the past week (Kate Collins) and a Kendra Ballantyne pet sitter who happens to also be a lawyer mystery. Currently I am reading a Jane True novel, which is urban fantasy about a half-human, her mother went back to the sea and is missing.

I've read the Hunger Games series due to recommendations here. Also have read the Stieg books in 2010. I also read one of the Jasper Fforde Nursery Crime mysteries which are insane though funny.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I recently finished "John Dies at the End". I can't really sum it up, it was quite bizarre. I got it at Borders, buy one get one 1/2 off. I got "Water for Elephants" which I really liked, not sure about the ending though. This is the Amazon link, though I assure you I did not pay $200 for this book!

http://www.amazon.com/John-Dies-End-David-Wong/dp/0978970764

It was an interesting read, not my usual type of book. I passed it on to a friend and told her to pass it on, etc. Not one I will keep for my collection.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read Water for Elephants while I was sitting waiting on jury duty three years ago or so. I really enjoyed that book.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMI, I adore the Dresden Files. I started reading them and Codex Alera on your recommendation I think and I love them all.

Gate or anyone else, do you get e-books for the Kindle from anywhere else? I'm trying to keep myself on a budget since it's brand new and I've gotten a bunch of freebies from Amazon but I wasn't sure if there were other reputable sites where I could download free books. Unfortunately my library's e-books aren't compatible with the Kindle. Happy reading everyone!

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
jcluckey
Jan 1 2011, 11:58 PM
Gate or anyone else, do you get e-books for the Kindle from anywhere else? I'm trying to keep myself on a budget since it's brand new and I've gotten a bunch of freebies from Amazon but I wasn't sure if there were other reputable sites where I could download free books. Unfortunately my library's e-books aren't compatible with the Kindle. Happy reading everyone!
There are a ton of resources. I made a new section just for Kindle/Ebook Resources ~

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Buzz/topic/4035271/1/#new

The first think you must download is Calibre. It's free and it can convert almost any ebook format to the Kindle format. :xmascheer:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just wanted to suggest two titles, especially for KMI:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It follows a young girl, orphaned and raised by foster parents in Germany in the late 30's/early 40's. Told from the perspective of Death. Given the time/place and the narrator, the book is both dark and beautiful, wry, funny, heart breakingly sad. I haven't finished it yet, but really enjoy it.

The other is called Feed by M.T. Anderson. Futuristic YA novel, told from the perspective of a teenaged boy, named Titus whose ability to read, write or think for himself has been almost completely wiped out by his 'feed', an electronic device that connects him to his friends, culture, advertising, etc. and replaces thought with the feed. Think twitter, with advertisements., embedded in actual brain tissue. There is a constant background chatter from friends, occasionally parents or other authority figures and of course, the omniscient ads to buy/buy into the latest trend, which might last only minutes. Of course, he meets a girl who is not as 'plugged in' as he is. I'm only part way through but so far, it's really good. Heavy on lingo/teen speak reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange, in a way. I haven't finished that (as usual, in the middle of multiple books....)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tgir, both books sounds really good. Thanks for sharing. :D

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir, you're the 3rd person recently to rec The Book Thief. My Amazon cart bulges.....

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think you would like both books. I have.....too many books in my 'to read' pile here at home. The book store is a dangerous place for me.....

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
About a third of the way thru The Book Thief. Thanks for the rec, tgir. Really love it. It's almost poetic in its prose and style. A few of my students have read it and really praised it too.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes, it is poetic on more than one level. I am glad you like it.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just finished Faithful Place by Tana French. It's her third mystery/thriller, although I think those terms do not come close to doing her novels justice. I've real all 3 published (and understand the 4th is in progress) and this is my favorite by quite a lot. The novels are all loosely related in that the first focused on a particular character and the second on a character introduced in the first, and the third, in a character from the 2nd. There are some common themes, as well, mostly about how we try to escape our own personal tragedies and sometimes tragic beginnings but in the end, must confront them and ourselves. Each is heart breaking in some ways, very engrossing. I could scarcely put Faithful Place down until I had finished it. Love the characters, love the voice, love everything about them.

And I don't like mysteries.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just read that they are making The Hunger Games into a film, with release expected for 2012:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2011/03/04/casting-katniss.aspx

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finished The Book Thief. Simply terrific. A friend and I want to get T-shirts with the novel's final line.

Over Spring Break I didn't get to read much at all since it dovetailed with the beginning of teaching units where I use novels. So I reread Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher and Daniel's Story by Carol Matas.

SS is an excellent retelling of the 1001 Nights. DS is a very blunt overview of the big picture of the Holocaust by having a family pretty much experience everything. It's a well told story with some great themes, but a little on the "stock" cliche character side of the ledger...tho my 8th graders LOVE it as an alternative to the textbook and non-fiction sources as it is a detailed (maybe too detailed) summary of the key events.

I also read Meditation For Beginners by Jack Kornfield and the newest Miles Vorkosigan SF by Lois McMaster Bujold entitled Cryoburn. Pretty good, but not one of the best. Then again, Bujold's average SF is better than most.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
The year so far... annoyingly, I'm only averaging a book a month (though there were some comic books thrown in the mix, and a couple of these books were really long... still. Grr. Want more reading time...).

Lamb: The Gospel According To Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal - Christopher Moore. The only one I hadn't read. Very funny.

Another Thing To Fall - Laura Lippman. I went very against my character, and -GASP- read a book from a series OUT OF SEQUENCE. I never do that. It was here, it was at hand, I liked the one of hers that I picked up at the same time and read last fall... so this is the tenth of Lippman's mysteries with character Tess Monaghan... I enjoyed the book. I don't feel TOO spoiled on previous entries, but... a little, I'm sure. Anyway. I've since ordered 1-5, and I'll get 6-9 after I run through those...

One Day - David Nicholls. A beautiful romance, told on a single day (July 15th) every year for a span of 19 years... very funny book. The movie (with Anne Hathaway) comes out in July, I hope it's good.

Play Dead - Harlan Coben. While I wait for my library hold to come through on 'the new one' (Live Wire, the tenth Myron Bolitar book), I read 'the first one', one of two early 90s books that have been out of print for years (effectively making his third book his 'first' book, though it wasn't REALLY...). It's good, has a lot of the familiar tricks that he'll come to perfect later on... it IS evident in places that it's from a still-learning-his-trade author, and at over 500 pages, it's probably more than a bit overwritten, but I enjoyed it - nothing for him to be too terribly embarrassed about, and I hope the OTHER 'lost' book (Miracle Cure, 1991) will also become available in the near-future, so I can say 'I've read them all' without the asterisk of 'except that one that's out-of-print'...

And I read the first six hardcovers (collecting the first 72 issues) of The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, and Cliff Rathburn. I like it, but I expect that the tv show is going to be kicking its ass in the storytelling department... already, the things in the adaptation that have differed from the source material are improvements in the story... with the comic, the WRITING isn't particularly awesome, but it does succeed in getting you to want to know what happens next. The suspense is there, but... Anyway, I have higher hopes for the tv show, but I will keep reading the comics (in collections of 12) as they become available...

shelle_cr
Member Avatar
Contributor
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've just finished reading Single Man. WHile I enjoyed reading it a lot, I'm quite curious how they've managed to make it to a long film as it seems so short. ALso, did they use voiceover? I cannot imagine how they would translate all inner George's thoughts and feelings.

Reading Never let me go now.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I found a new juvenile/teen series that I'm reading along with my daughter. It's the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage. A magical series that is really good. I'm on book 5 now, not sure if there's more.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just finished reading "Something Borrowed" by Emily Griffin, there's a movie coming out based on the book. The storyline was a little unorthodox for me but I loved it! Going to get the next one "Something Blue" next!

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
jcluckey
May 12 2011, 10:05 PM
I just finished reading "Something Borrowed" by Emily Griffin, there's a movie coming out based on the book. The storyline was a little unorthodox for me but I loved it! Going to get the next one "Something Blue" next!
What are they about, JC?

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
jcluckey, I read Something Borrowed and Something Blue years ago. I quite enjoyed them. Whenever a new Emily Giffin book comes out in paperback I purchase it.

Something Borrowed and Something Blue tell the same story from opposite points of view. It is a story about two friends whose relationship is destroyed by a man. One book is told with the POV of the fiance and the other by her friend who breaks up the couple.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
There's a lot of emotion in the book. I would definitely recommend the book to anyone. I'll probably see the movie when it comes out.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
jcluckey
May 13 2011, 01:05 PM
There's a lot of emotion in the book. I would definitely recommend the book to anyone. I'll probably see the movie when it comes out.
Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbsup:

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think the movie has been out for a week or two already, hasn't it?

Not getting great reviews, but I love Ginnifer Goodwin, so I'll probably see it 'someday'.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just finished "Something Blue", it was awesome!!! I think I liked it better than the first one.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Read the latest Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse novel. I thought it was very well done. She really connected some dots, and has, imo, set the books on a distinctive path from HBO, and dare I say a better one?

Given the "fun beach book" vampire genre, she is actually exploring some meatier questions about identity and love that I'm predicting may end up alienating some of her fan base when she wraps the series, if she's going where I think she's going.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm guessing you mean the last hard cover Sookie book. I'm waiting until it comes to paperback. Do you know how many more books there will be?

Just started another vampire series called The Morganville Vampires, now they have them in the young adult section (got the two books in one edition versions), but the single books were in the sci-fi fantasy section.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Once upon a time, Harris said there would only be 13 books overall. Lately she has hedged her statements. On her website FAQ she says she doesn't know how many more books there will be, but she knows how the series will end. The newest hardback Dead reckoning is the 11th.

Chapter One is online on her site:

http://www.charlaineharris.com/DeadReck_1.html

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll cross-post with the Game of Thrones thread.

TwoP is developing a reading club, ostensibly for fantasy fans who will miss GoT while on hiatus. The thread discussion includes TONS of good fantasy and SF (and medieval/political intrigue) suggestions, even if you are not interested in participating.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3205839

Edited to add: The point of the thread is for readers who DO NOT want to read GRRM's books and wish to remain unspoiled. ASOIAF readers can participate, but cannot in any way mention anything GRRM related.

Edited by KMInfinity, Jun 11 2011, 12:29 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> has, imo, set the books on a distinctive path from HBO, and dare I say a better one?

Well, no matter which one prefers, you can't really say SHE set the books on a distinctive path FROM HBO... I mean, the books are ALL hers, and she's always been - what? - seven books ahead... then the show comes along, and... it's the one forging the deviations (again, mostly by the lifting of the limitation that you have when the books are all told from Sookie's POV, and the show can't be that way).

I might read books 2-4 soon. I've been holding off, but...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, there's been discussion her books might be influenced by the HBO show, but I take your point. I think what I meant to say is that the show clearly diverges and she makes no real attempt to reconcile the differences, which could be an issue.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: