Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (8,995 Views)
Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Have read several of a Scandanavian author, Jussi Adler-Olsen. Really like them. Murder mysteries, interesting characters.

Also reading old Stephen King books, especially the short stories which are from the 80's so I can barely recall reading them. They really hold up, that is if you love King as I do. His writing has more depth now, but one would expect that.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate, I am 2/3 through Revival and can't put it down. I am dreading the end though, I think it might not be a happy one. Don't tell me though!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Bilki, Huxley's Brave New World? God I read that sooooo long ago, alog with all his stuff, and Clarke, and Asimov, HG Wells, Poe, all of them.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Mums the word. I am sorry you still have the headaches.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I love the Fire and use it in place of an iPad. I did not like the iPad and returned it. However my husband likes the paper white just because he only uses it to read and can read in the sun. I don't watch movies or anything on the Kindle. But I do email and surf some.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I would rather read than almost anything. I take my Kindle to the gym and it alone is why I can stay on that Godamn stepper 4 x week. Reading makes the time go faster than any TV show ever, and of course if I really loved a TV show, i would not be watching it at the gym anyhow.

I really do not sit in front of the computer that much. Talking to you guys in about it, other than shcecking Facebook a couple times a day.

Good books, or at least ones I like are hard to find. I don't feel I am up to re reading some of the classics but maybe I should try. I have been re reading Kings long ones and loving them as much as the first time around.

I am loving Wayward Pines, and really it is just quick paced sci fi drivel, but it is a page turner and I really am in suspense to see what happens.

Bilki, I loved Dune, but don't know if I would today. Maybe I will try again.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I finsihed the Pines trilogy. I liked them and Gate might like them as well. They are not great literature, but quick reads, and I did want to see what the ending was.

I have Kings new book on the Kindle but may keep it a few weeks prior to reading it.
Edited by Krystal, Jun 3 2015, 08:19 PM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am not loving Kings new one, about 1/2 way through.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am reading John Grisham's rogue lawyer book. It's a quick read and I like it alot so as soon as I'm done with it I will buy the expanse or whatever the first book is called and started right away.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I will get it on Kindle

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am reading Terror the book that will be the basis of the netflix
Series ( i think?). In any case it is really long about a thousand pages. I am about halfway through and I like it alot. It takes place in the 17 hundreds. I usually don't like books about that time. What bought it because I knew it was sort of a horror book. But it's fairly historically accurate about these guys trying to find the Northwest Passage. There was enough suffering and awful things happening to these people without having some kind of Supernatural thing going on. So I like it because I think it shows what these people went through to try to find this passage, how they froze and starved and we're not well equipped for the journey. So that was bad enough without introducing the monster. I really don't know at this point in time exactly what the supernatural thing is and I don't think we won't know until the end. However there are interesting characters and a lot of good material for a series if it is done correctly it should be really good.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read the last Stephen King book which was the last of the mr. Mercedes series. It was just so so but at least I got right back into the characters and that made it somewhat enjoyable. Not so much Joe Hills Fireman book. It was boring and altogether sucked. One I did like but may not be for everybody was called The Butterfly Garden and it is about young women being kept in captivity in a private Garden by a very wealthy man. I won't give away anymore but obviously there is some sexual abuse here but it's not terribly well described and sort of happens behind the scenes. I found the book to be a page-turner though because one woman is testifying to the FBI so you know she gets away and you really don't know how she gets away until the end of the book.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Omg, Bladerunner.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
New one with Ford?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just finished the mountains of Madness, an old Lovecraft book. I had read it many many years ago and wasn't sure I would still love it but I did. I think many of today's books were copied from that plot. He had a very disturbing way of writing which was very effective. The book I bought is a compilation of short stories although that one was quite long. I'm looking forward to reading the others

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes I looked him up because I had forgotten. He died in poverty at age 46 and was really not well known until after he died. Said the writing was brilliant

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
My mother claimed she taught me to read it too I have no idea if that is true because my mother wasn't truthful about a lot of things. However I knew how to read it 5th grade level when I add in first grade and I never had kindergarten. I was five when I started first grade didn't turn 6 until January of that year. I've read all the time because it really was the only pastime that was available we didn't have computers and we didn't even have a TV when I was little. I read almost every Nancy Drew book at first and then I actually read the boys books I think the Hardy Boys and I read all the Syfy I could get a hold of your limited Library.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I guess, maybe it was a Pittsbugh thing at the time?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
For sure it wasn't that my mother was so brilliant at child-raising but she figured if she taught me to read I would not pester her and she was right because when I stuck my nose in a book I was immersed in it. So I didn't bother her I just read. There were no sports activities at all available for girls at my school except I was a major it if you can count that :-). But there were absolutely no Sports and even the boys didn't have that much except the football team which was pathetic and a basketball team which was actually not too bad.

I have an acute ability to concentrate on a good book. Or when I'm studying even more when I was working on legal files. I will immerse myself to the point where I don't want any external stimuli no music no TV no nothing and if someone were to actually come up and touch me I would jump three feet in the air because I am totally focused on what I am reading. I guess that's why I was a good student but I'm like that even when I'm reading a book that I like even if it's Stephen King or something. I think being an escape or a mental Escape is part of it because really my childhood was extremely boring. My mother wasn't the type of person to play with a kid God forbid should even hug me that I remember. My dad worked all the time he showed his love in many ways but men of that era were not huggy. I don't know why I took such a liking to science fiction but I recall my parents did like science fiction movies and horror movies to the point where they took me to horror movies when I was very small but I don't recall having nightmares because of it. They also like westerns and I remember my dad watching Westerns on television although I never developed a taste for that. Of course in those days there were that many channels so whatever the parents wanted to watch the kid got to watch as well. That is something that I wish would come back because it seems like now the kids dictate what is on television unless the parents just buy them there an iPad when they can barely talk walk around in which case they get to watch what they want all the time and I don't think that is a terribly good idea

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: