Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (9,649 Views)
Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I also got Joe Hill's short story book and they are fab and I don't usually read shorties. I will try your series Gate.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jc, very cool, I will try it.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just read "20th Century Ghosts" Joe Hill. Loved it. Short stories, all are good, some are fab. I am sold on this guy.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Reading "City on Fire". Pretty good mystery. Gate, gotta read Joe...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate, the City on Fire (Robert Ellis) was good, but Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts is fab. His Heart Shaped Box is also good.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
NOS4A2. the lastest by Joe Hill. Damn good read.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate, this one is for you: Brilliance. This is about 10% of humanity being borm with ultra intelligence and of couse the rest hating them. Reminds me a bit of Reborn.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
That is the one. I am now reading Darkbound by M Collings, sort of zombie horror in a subway, half through and so far so good.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Joe Hill's Horns. I really liked it. Owen King's "Were All in it Together", not so much.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am anxiously awaiting Dr Sleep to be delivered to my Kindle on the 24th. NYT gave it a great write up, it is Danny all grown up from the Shining....

I am now reading "5 Days at Memorial" which is just terrific. About the aftermath of Katrina, and the Hell the doctors and patients went through at memorial Hospital in New Orleans. This book has brought me to tears multiple times already and I am only about 1/3 through it. Great writing.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
From Hill, I liked NOS4ATU, Horms and Heart Shaped Box in that order. My hsb did not like Horns.
I just got the King book as well.

Do read 5 Days at Memorial, it will make you cry every 10 pages and furious at George Bush "Good Job Brownie" the rest of it.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
TGIR, let me know when you get into it. It really is an amazing, and depressing, and very much worth reading.

Gate, I also liked Hill's 20th Century Ghosts, short stories.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am really glad you are reading it. The first half left me in tears every page. The second infuriated me, that they would condemn the auctions of these people after. No matter your stance on the subject though, it is really an amazing read.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate, 1/4 into Dr Sleep and liking it a lot.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am loving Sleep as well. It does however remind me of NOS4AT2, a lot. But really glad to see Danny all grown up. I can almost predict what will happen though. I wish Halloran would return but he is probably too old.

TGIR, have you bought another box of kleenex yet?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dr Sleep is Danny Torrance the kid from the Shining all grown up. Half done and loving it. I read on the stairmaster 45 minutes 4 x a week when there are no big blathering women on adjacent machines.
Also read at night, hsb conks right out and I read at least 1/2 hour.

Gate, I recc NOS4AT2 Joe Hill

TGIR, how is 5 days going?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
TGIR, did you finish 5 days?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
It grabs you so much it can be hard to read.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes, I blubbered through the first half of the book...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Almost done with Dr Sleep. Shine on Gate!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Like Dr Sleep, it just gets better.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lord, I have been so busy i have 10% left with dr. Sleep and haven't finished it and it is GOOD.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I finished Dr. Sleep finally! Wow , it was very good. I hope we hear more about the girl in the future.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am reading Grisham's Sycamore Row. It gets a bit weighed down with the courtroom stuff but I admit I am not guessing the end and is a good read so far.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the heads up Gate, I was thinking of buying that one.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I look at the highest ratings then the lowest. It is amazing how much different people can evaluate the same book.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Read a bunch of drivel, mostly mystery and lame Sci Fi. Tried Monuments Men, truly dull. I couldn't finish it. Then read a review of Blake Bailey's "The Splendid Things We Planned" in Sunday Times. bought it, nearly done with the book. It is FABULOUS. Ang gate you must read it, and TGIR and KMI also. If you guys don't like it I'll send you a check!!!!

It is about a dysfunctional family with an oldest very problematic child, how he affects the whole family and his younger brother who is the writer. This is non fiction. It is pathos, it is sometimes hilarious. It really gives insight into the pull and tear of a family dealing with an alcoholic and probably bi polar mamber.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
No kindle?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
You are correct but I read on the stupid machines at the gym and books fall off while the kindle is thin enough to use. I also read past husbands bed time and don't bother him with a light

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read King's Mr. Mercedes and liked it a lot. Not supernatural, just regular human evil.

Also read The Son by Jo Nesbo. Liked that as well. I like his writing a lot. He is a Swede and the names can throw you but I have enjoyed all of his stories so far.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: