Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (9,006 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Shhh...

I love Good Omens way more than Hitchhiker.... :P
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have a copy, haven't read it yet. I've heard good things from kids. I do know it won a christian lit award.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good luck with the Russians. :P

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Geez that series went on longer than GoT and is now being continued by Sanderson. I think he just published the finale. I did not read Robert Jordan. I heard early on it was a 12 book series and I just decided I'd save that mess for my retirement. I've heard good things and bad things. Someday I'll catch up on it. Let me know what you think.

A good friend LOVES Rothfuss. I have two on my shelf waiting to be read this summer. I was going to wait until he finished the trilogy but he writes almost as slowly as GRRM, and has only finished two books in 6 years. And now I hear he's decided he needs at least FOUR books to tell his tale.

GRRM has a lot of sins on his soul to balance his brilliance. :P

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
>>>>>I got a bit impatient and restless during the final two parts, which isn't that unusual for a book of such length.
This came up in my grad studies when we were reading Middlemarch. We discussed how the length for Georgian and Victorian era novels was a result of the leisure time for reading, fewer distractions from other media, and the 'family reading time' when people would read aloud to each other after dinner. We also decided that in general, even the best novels of that type could stand some major editing and 'getting to the point' and 'stop beating the dead horse' syndrome. :P

I do notice my ability to immerse in a book for hours and days has become impaired. Partly age, partly eye strain, but largely, I am sure, sure to the 'vine' culture I am living in.
Edited by KMInfinity, Feb 21 2015, 10:54 AM.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
YEP! That's the book I stopped reading!

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, I didn't get too far. I was pretty turned off after Red Wedding in Book 3, and some other stuff. And when five years passed between Book 3 and 4 I wasn't really highly motivated to read it, so when a friend loaned me a copy I tried to make myself read it but didn't get far.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Bilki, It came in the mail today. I'll start it this weekend if the pace of life slows down a bit.

So it's pretty shocking, huh?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Book is here. I'm 2/3 thru a heinlein reread and then I'll start it. Hellz bellz it's bigger than I anticipated.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm on page 110. Discuss here (with spoilerrs?) or in a new thread? NOT the show thread. Or maybe you and I PM, Bilki? LOLOL

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
That was a good series. Ambitious, but I remember thinking the final book sort of lost its way. I should reread that. I never read May's other interconnected series. Did you, tgir?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was just cleaning my bookshelves and was thinking I hadn't read a dog book this year. (No Spencer Quinn :-( ). So thanks for the recommendation!

I'm enjoying the traditional Scotland Yard Brit series featuring Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James by Deborah Crombie. Great character studies, old school mysteries. P.D. James-ish.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate I was thinking of the new Lestat boook too for Christmas. Are you following Ann Rice on FB?

I love apocalyptic fiction - old school especially. Off the top of my head on my shelves - Earth Abides; Alas, Babylon; The Postman (A pretty bad movie though); The Death of Grass; Farnham's Freehold... All 50's and 60's. Except Brin's Postman?

I don't think I'd call them thrillers though, so I don't know if they are what you'd like. Read any?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
A friend recommended MM Smith to me before. I'll have to add him to my massive Amazon cart. :D

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dick is awesome. You know his novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? made into Blade Runner. Amazon currently has an adaptation of The Man in the High Castle. I actually like his short stories better than his novels (mostly) which is unusual for me. Some of the stories are also movies.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
You must must MUST see Bladerunner.

Read the novel first though. They're usually shorter...not of those massive GOT tomes.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dick is pretty unique. Even looking over the "new wave" SF writers (from the 60s) he stands out and is on an extreme edge.

My picks would be Samuel Delaney for novels, especially The Fall of the Towers trilogy and Dahlgren.

Harlan Ellison is also awesome but mostly wrote short stories and novellas rather than novels.

He's a very interesting guy. He was was once called the most ornery man alive, and he is abrasive and argumentative and quick tempered, ready to sue if he feels his work has been stolen or mistreated. He forced James Cameron to add a credit for him to Terminator, which Ellison claimed ripped off his script for a short story adapted by Outer Limits. He also wrote the Star Trek episode City on the Edge of Forever, which won a Writers Guild award and a Hugo. He marched at Selma in '65 and edited the most seminal science fiction series of short stories that "blew up" the genre - Dangerous Visions. he was a Yippie leader, and there's a series of videos of him speaking in the 60s.

Lots of his work has become films or TV shows, but he's such a weirdo (who I dearly love) that he often uses the pseudonym Cordwainer Bird if he thinks the film version screwed up his writer's vision. His short novel A Boy and His Dog is terrific, and the movie was I think Don Johnson's first major role.

You might like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZvcKB9vQO0 There's a ton of videos of his appearances on talk shows, and radio interviews. He's a very fast talking, articulate, interesting speaker.

John Brunner, Kurt Vonnegut, Alfred Best come to mind as somewhat similar...

There are quite a few writers who you can tell tried to "do" a PKD style novel, sometimes with great success, sometimes not - but almost never as a career.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lovecraft is amazing. Gothic yet somehow feels modern. He was a real weird dude too.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
LOVE Le Guin. LHOD is one of my all time favorites. If you liked LHOD you will want to read more of her.

I also loved the Earthsea series, more than Harry Potter. (well, truth be told, I only "like" HP - I think there are so so so many children/teen/adult fantasy series that are better.)

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Off topic -

None of the embedded links have worked for me, not here, not in the BB thread, nowhere. Is it just me, or the board?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
grrrrr. I guess i need to check my laptop security settings.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just realized - I read that book in 1971 when I was 12. And Stranger in a Strange Land too. The summer before my 8th grade year.

I feel so old. :tongue:

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Sep 11 2016, 09:18 PM
I'm impressed that you were tackling such thought-provoking concepts as such a young age. :D
I was weird. And very very shy. Today I'm sure I've had had a diagnosis. :firemad: So I started reading very early. I was reading full novels at 6 and 7 years old, the Narnia series, the Little House books.

I had an undiagnosed hearing loss (35% loss) until I was 5 and am blind in one eye, so I much much preferred to read rather than interact with people.

I still remember the very first "book" I read, at four; Posted Image

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal that must have been common. If you could read, you skipped kindergarten and went to first grade. That's what I did too.

I fondly remember my 8th grade teacher getting books for me from the branch library because I wasn't allowed in the "adult" side.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Oct 11 2016, 09:49 PM
I've been trying to find another fantasy series to get myself hooked on, because that sounds like a fun thing to do. GoodReads has so many highly rated fantasy series but it's taken me three tries to find one of which I actually want to read the second book.
So what's the series you finally moved on to book 2? Don't leave us hanging!!!!

Somewhere far backthread, around 2011 or 2010, I posted some series we read at the old TWoP in a bookclub so maybe you've seen these suggestions, Bilki - I highly HIGHLY rec these series:

Furies of Calderon - by Jim Butcher. Just awesome....many in the TWoP club agreed it's better than GoT, and the series as a whole ENDS, and ends well. (Granted after six books.)

The Harry Dresden series - Also by Butcher. Urban fantasy par excellence.

The Warrior's Apprentice (found in the compilation Young Miles and part of the Vor Saga) - by Lois McMaster Bujold It's SF but not real "hard" - more space opera, so more fantasy elements. Think better than Star War by a log shot. I've mentioned before there's spec that GRRM stole the character of Miles for Tyrion. Must read for GoT fans. This is the first book, and is excellent, but books 2 and 3, and some later in the series are even better. The series has Hugo and Nebula winners.

Nine Princes in Amber (currently found in the collection The Great Book of Amber) - by Roger Zelazny. I know I've recc'ed this before. Revolutionary concepts and storytelling, fast past slam band action all in 180 pages. The five book series is all of 800 pages. Another one that was debated as "better than GoT" by some. (Not for character development or plotting, but for sheer originality, weirdness, grand sword and sorcery FUN, and a combo of post-new wave meets old school style)

(Please don't tell me you tried one of these and passed. :bricks: )

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes! Finish The Furies.

Seriously, if you haven't read the Amber series it's like classic pulp and exactly what you need if loooong tortuous dense novels are not grabbing you right now.

I too took a pass on Name of the Wind though a friend keeps pushing Rothfus.

I adore Jackson. Just posted an article about her on FB.
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2016/10/ruth_franklin_s_biography_of_shirley_jackson_reviewed.html

I'll check out The Witcher series.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Butler is terrific. A real loss when she died so young.

And the Exogenesis trilogy is great. Kindred, Wild Seed - go crazy. :)

I think I'm pulling the trilogy off the shelf and putting it in the read-soon pile.

In case you haven't read about her:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/obit/2006/03/octavia_butler.html

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: