Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (8,788 Views)
tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Heh. What I remember about my parents--make that my dad--my mother would never have bothered! is that my dad knew I knew my letters and so he figured I was ready to read. I have no idea how old I was. No kindergarten for me--it was an optional/extra program and we had moved to the school district too late for there to be a spot for me. Mom wanted another kid (and me, specifically) out of the house, so it was rough for her that I couldn't go.

Anyway, my father started me on Dick and Jane. All I really remember is that I could read Look quite fine but when it was look (lower case 'l') I had no idea. No one explained upper and lower case letters to me so I figured if it was a 'little l' it must sound different. Made sense to me but made my father extremely upset because he thought I was just being stubborn. Being a little kid, I didn't even know how to explain it to my father who was very angry. By fifth grade I had read everything remotely interesting in our school library, which was open in the summers as our town had no public library. The bookmobile came and I convinced the librarian to let me check out the Iliad and the Odyssey the summer between fifth and sixth grade.

One of my kids taught himself to read when he was 4 and I didn't even realize it until I started to read to him when I got his younger sibling down for a nap and he told me he could read the book. It was Bedtime for Francis and it turned out, yes, he could. He hadn't memorized the book (I had assumed he memorized other kids books) because it was brand new. In first grade, they had to bring something in to read to the class and he picked a children's book of sea creatures and was very concerned he would mispronounce the word bioluminescence. I told him he could only read one page to the class, not the whole book. This is the kid who had completed 2 years of calculus before he started high school, then dropped out of college to join the army, came back and finished his physics major and now works 3rd shift at an electronics factory because he didn't want to go to grad school.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Completely different vein but hubby got me the most recent additons to the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series. Full of gentle wisdom.

Also reading Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance, I think a must read for anyone who wants to understand anything about this past election, although it has nothing to do with the election. I'm just...heartbroken about the divide between rural and urban and how each gets the other so wrong.

And then "I'm Supposed to Protect You From All of This" by Nadja Spiegelman, a memoir (I think I've written about it before. Still reading. Got caught up in a Project That Would Not Die and didn't get a chance to do any reading for pleasure. About women, mothers and daughters, and memory and different perspectives of the same events and times. Compelling, engrossing, wonderful.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: