Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (9,023 Views)
Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Apr 6 2013, 01:41 PM
I finished "Heart Shaped Box", Joe Hill. I liked it a lot. A ghost story, some violence. Like old King or Koontz. Gate, I think you will like it.
Definitely on my list! I can't wait.

~~~

I'm reading Wool Omnibus Series. It's amazing. Very different and I can't put it down and don't want it to end. It's labeled as a Science Fiction Classic and I'm reading the 5 books as one I'm on book 3 right now. It has 5 stars out of 5 stars on Amazon out of over 4,000 reviews.

I highly recommend checking out this series especially if you like a good read. It's not scarey in the 'horror' way but riveting in the character development. It's one of those series you can't put down. Oh and I'm not bored by being on book 3. Nothing repetitive at all. ;)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Ooo .... Looks good. I must start reading them!!!! ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
JC, I don't mean to laugh at your post but I did because I can relate. I understand you not wanting to read romance right now... I honestly think romance stories are bad and scarier than anything Stephen King can cook up because they aren't reality. I don't think I've read a true romance, unless you count Twilight and I don't, in decades.

I always find that in times of stress it is always best to read books that make me think 'things could be worst' so I've been reading apocalyptic books for some time. Let me know if you need the list. ;) It really does keep your mind off of things and takes you away to a different type of world.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well color me stupid. I had to google dystopian because I never heard that word before. Very interesting. There are a ton of books at Amazon with that in the title. I need to know which ones I should read first!

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
jcluckey
Apr 17 2013, 05:17 PM
I just found a website on Pintrest (I've really become addicted since I gave up facebook, lol.) where you type in the name of a book that you like and it will populate a list of similar books. I'm excited to try it!

http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/
That sounds cool! I need to try that. I usually look at Amazon's recommendation since I get most of my stuff from them but I'm ready for a change after I read Divergent. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Reading Divergent. As all of you had said ... this book is excellent. I can't put it down and will be reading the next one the minute I finish this one. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I must read Joe Hill next. I keep forgetting.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh my .... I really need to load both suggestions to my Kindle. I'm still reading everything apocalyptic and/or zombie I can get my hands on.

I actually started to outline my own Zombie book in my head and presented hubby with the basics this morning. He thought I had a pretty good twist on the whole Zombie thing. The only problem is I am not a writer. I can't even put 2 sentences together correctly so I'm not sure how far I will ever get putting my ideas to words. Hubby is great at writing but he is NOT a fan of Zombie stuff and he may be too critical for me to work with. :P

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMI & Tgir, I download Dogs Purpose. WOW 5 stars and 1303 review on Amazon. Looks really good.

Krystal, I also have a couple of Joe Hill books ready to go.

I'm in the middle of a Zombie book series so once done with that I think I'll move on to the dog book then Joe Hill. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well I'm reading Dogs Purpose and I have gotten to the part
Spoiler: click to toggle

It's already pulling at my heart strings. If this ends up being a tear jerker I'm hunting you down KMI! I mean it! I already have shed a tear but I've laughed too. It's sure different from my Zombie books. B-)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm reading 'World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War' by Max Brooks. The movie 'World War Z' is suppose to be based on this book. They are NOTHING alike. The book is more of a research paper one what happened to everyone during and after the Zombie invasion. The book is OK ... not great. The movie was OK ... not great.

Just to add some perspective. In the book the Zombies couldn't run and in the movie they can. Kind of a major difference if you ask me.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Aug 13 2013, 10:59 AM
Gate, this one is for you: Brilliance. This is about 10% of humanity being borm with ultra intelligence and of couse the rest hating them. Reminds me a bit of Reborn.
Is it by Marcus Sakey? It looks good. Thank you!

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal, I'm going to read Dr. Sleep immediately too and start reading the Joe Hill books you recommend. Which Joe Hill books should I read and which one first?

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jenni
Sep 24 2013, 07:46 PM
For readers of the Divergent series, the final book Allegiant comes out in a month! So excited!
YAY! Can't wait!!!

Krystal

Gate, 1/4 into Dr Sleep and liking it a lot.

I'm 1/2 way through and LOVE it. Very good sequel. True Stephen King. B-)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finished King's 'Doctor Sleep' and loved it. If you have read 'The Shining' you won't be disappointed. If you haven't read 'The Shining' you should read that first. ;)

Now I'm in the process of picking out my next book. I'm thinking Joe Hill. Time to go Amazon Kindle shopping.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Oct 12 2013, 11:26 AM
Gate, I recc NOS4AT2 Joe Hill

LOL ... Just downloaded it on your recommendation. 706 pages of horror sounds perfect!

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Oct 15 2013, 04:47 PM
Almost done with Dr Sleep. Shine on Gate!
B-) B-) B-)

I started NOS4A2 by Joe Hill and I already am hooked. Thanks Krystal. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal, I haven't read NOS4A2 in 5 days and I'm going crazy. I just want some me/book time and go back to my 'happy place'. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
So I'm reading Allegiant (Divergent Series) by Veronica Roth. I was so excited for this book to come out and I have never been more disappointed in my life. It's terrible. I haven't finished it yet BUT I doubt it will get any better. It's almost as if the writer is a completely different person. I just looked at Amazon and it looks like I'm not alone. I'll finish it up soon and get back with you guys on my review and then I'm going to post a review on Amazon which I have never done before but I have to vent!

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Jenni, just finished it and I was correct .... Still thought it sucked. It has 3 stars our of 5 on Amazon. I personally give it 1. :P

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Dec 20 2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the heads up Gate, I was thinking of buying that one.
Krystal, it is not worth the $6.99 I paid for it. My husband was looking forward to it but when I told him how bad it was he said he had so many other books he wants to read he wasn't going to bother.

To be fair, I think everyone should read the amazon reviews. I know everyone has different taste and there are a number of people who still enjoyed it. I'm just not one of them.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll see the first 2 and pray that they change the 3rd movie. ;)

I'm forever looking at Amazon reviews. I especially love to read the 1 stars.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Dec 16 2014, 05:11 PM
Gate, I am 2/3 through Revival and can't put it down. I am dreading the end though, I think it might not be a happy one. Don't tell me though!
Krystal, I started reading it but had to stop because of my optical migraine ... everything is blurry and I can't read. So for the love of all things Stephen King please don't tell me anything!!!!! I'm hoping to read it really soon the minute my eyes are good enough. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir
Dec 17 2014, 11:03 AM
Gate, you should not still be having migraines, certainly not on a continual basis. Have you seen a neurologist?
Not yet. Finally got the name of 2 good neurologist a couple hours away ... am going to make appointment this morning. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir
Dec 18 2014, 07:20 AM

Now: I saw you were just on and hope you still are: Emergency help needed: Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Fire? For my youngest son who is very low maintenance and who has never asked for one of these before in his life.
Kindle Paperwhite is strictly for reading books. Imitates book print and great for reading in the sun, etc. Kindle Fire can do more but like the iPad it sucks for reading in the sun, etc. Also hard on eyes for long term readings. So ... if you want to get him something for reading Kindle Paperwhite and if you want to get him something like an iPad then get Kindle Fire.

I have the Paperwhite and LOVE it. I also have an iPad and LOVE it. Apples and oranges because I use them for different things. ;)
Edited by Gatekeeper, Dec 18 2014, 07:34 AM.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
For the life of me I can't get through Game of Thrones - A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire Book 4. I just find it painfully boring. I really enjoyed the other books but this one is taking me MONTHS to read. I think I'm going to take a break and catch-up on some Stephen King stuff and try and go back. I just HATE to do that.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMInfinity
Sep 6 2015, 07:41 PM
YEP! That's the book I stopped reading!
Did you find it painfully boring? I mean really really boring.

I started to read King' Finders Keepers. It's the follow up to Mr. Mercedes and I'm enjoying it. B-)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Jan 6 2016, 02:13 PM
If anyone else is reading Leviathan Wakes and would like to discuss it....

:eek:
Is that a good :eek: ? I haven't started it yet. :yoda:

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have been reading a ton of Post Apocalyptic Thriller/Dystopian Thriller books but that is nothing new. Lots of good stuff by independent authors. I'm always thrilled when there is a new twist to the post apocalyptic thrillers that I would have never thought of.

I'm considering going back into the world of Anne Rice and re-reading all the Vampire books. She has a new one out so I kind of want to 'refresh' myself since it has been over a decade I've read Anne Rice.

Right now I'm reading End of Watch: A Novel (The Bill Hodges Trilogy) by Stephen King. My husband LOVED this series. I thought it was great even though it wasn't your typical 'Stepehn King' series.

As I keep saying ... So many books so little time.

I know most of you are anti e-readers but for those of you who aren't this is a great website if you don't already know about it ~ https://www.bookbub.com/home/

You sign up and pick out the categories you are interested in and they send you a daily email with either 'free' or 'reduced' price ebooks. I've probably download a 100 books for hubby and I. :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: