Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (9,642 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
lexilou
Jun 25 2010, 07:06 AM
So if you have one of these e-readers, you can just go to the website and read them? These e-readers are like a laptop, sorta, where they connect to the internet through a wireless connection? (Kinda new to the wireless stuff).

Not sure exactly what you're asking.

The majority of public domain works are free online and can be accessed using any computer or laptop.

I can't speak about how the kindle and its sister e-books work. I assume you can connect them to a computer to download the e-book after paying online if it's a book that's copyrighted. At that point it's on the e-book and can be read anywhere, anytime and doesn't need any wireless access.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Besides loving books-as-objects and loving the 'feel' of a book in my hands, I'm resistant to ever get a kindle or anything like it... I too often want/have to go back over something I've read, and in a book, my brain will 'remember' where it was on the page that I want to go.. if I'm reading on a screen, it's going to be that much harder to find the place I want to return to...

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jun 26 2010, 04:25 PM
Besides loving books-as-objects and loving the 'feel' of a book in my hands, I'm resistant to ever get a kindle or anything like it... I too often want/have to go back over something I've read, and in a book, my brain will 'remember' where it was on the page that I want to go.. if I'm reading on a screen, it's going to be that much harder to find the place I want to return to...

I so totally agree with this, Dax!!

I actually have three books running right now! I almost never do that but they are of heavy or dry content that I must be able to escape to a new topic.

I did however read The Overton Window in three or four days. I just treated it like I did Tom Clancy when I was in the spy game. Just fiction, no relative crossover, blah, blah, blah...

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm typing from my Kindle so I'll make this short. I looked at both the Kindle and the Nook before I bought my Kindle and the software is far superior on the Kindle. ;) The free classic books are available in all different formats so you don't need an ereader to view them BUT it's wonderful that the books are available in kindle format.

Dax, the Kindle has multiple bookmark, highlight & note capability so you wouldn't have the slightest problem marking your spot or passages. You can also read multiple books simultaneously and it automatically remembers your place on all your books. You can also store 1000 books on the Kindle and unlimited books in archive.

It comes with FREE wifi so you can download your books anytime and in different countries. You can also plug it into your computer with a USB cable and download that way. It will also read/ convert PDF files fir your viewing pleasure.

The best part of the Kindle/Nook is the eink. This makes your reading experience just like a book so there is no glare or eye strain from backlighting unlike a computer thar has terrible glare and causes eyestrain.

The reason I got the Kindle is because you can adjust the font size/style and that has been a lifesaver for my tired old eyes.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am reading a book called "Methland", which is amazing. it is a true book about how Meth is destroying the small towns in America.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
FInished Unaccustomed Earth this weekend which is a novel of eight short stories.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Don't remember if I mentioned reading Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder. Very much enjoyed it and was less...depressed/upset by the material than I would have thought.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
I thought I posted this already but here's my Chelsea Lately book club recommendations: Jerry Weintraub "When I Stop Talking You'll Know I'm Dead", Molly Ringwald "Getting the Pretty Back", and Shit My Dad says. Can't remember the guys name right now, it was hilarious!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Almost done with Methland and really recc it. It not only goes into Meth but the destruction of the food industry as we know it (small farming), bought out by big corps who bring in immigrants and abuse them, leaving the farm towns with no work. And takes a shot at pharmaceuticals too.

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just finished "Eat, Love, Pray". I know I am probably very late to the game but I liked it. Especially the first and last parts. But I do Love Richard from Texas!

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read Eat Pray Love awhile back, I can't remember how long it has been except more than a year. I already passed the novel along to my sister who read it too.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Grabbed The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest today....Can't believe how addicted I've become. These books are so not my usual thing.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Trying to read Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (per someone on here) but am having a hard time getting into it. Could possibly be because I'm in my last semester (for now) at school and am a little preoccupied. I did just get the new Jim Butcher book though. I'm saving it for the weekend because I know I'll go through it quick.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sometime it is hard with all the Swedish names, and the first one with all the Vangers, but believe me you'll get into it and be unable to put it down.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I did find it slow to get into The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, just a bit. It really picked up when story focused on Lisbeth more. Oddly enough, the Swedish names weren't much of a problem. But I never would have made it through if it had been all Russian names! I did keep turning to the family tree for all the Vangers. That made it easier to sort out. And reminded myself that a man was writing it so that the writer character was...as my daughter put it: a bit like James Bond, only a writer. So, not so believable as a character. It is Lisbeth who carries the book, even when she's not on the pages....

Without giving anything away, I did want to say that I am immensely sorry that Stieg's life was cut so short: I would have very much liked to have learned more about Lisbeth's family.

Re: Jim Butcher's books: I got my son and one of his friends addicted to them. I haven't kept up: I'll have to borrow some from him----when he was overseas, I built the whole collection up to that point for him in paperback. It took him a bit to believe me when I said they were really good--I hadn't realized he was actually reading them until he told me he and his friend were on a run to the next town with a bigger book store to find the latest installment.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Love love LOVE Butcher.

And for those who've only read the urban fantasy with Harry Dresden, his traditional Alera sword and sorcery series was superb. Better than anything in the last 10 yrs, including Martin's Thrones series. (imo)

(I'm thinking of getting all the audio versions now as James Marsters' *performance* has been praised to the skies.)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I gave up on Harry Dresden when it felt like it was turning into yet another vampire series. I know that sounds ridiculous coming from me, but that's how I felt. I have some of the novels still unread in my stockpile. I do have two or three of the Alera books, that I own and have yet to touch.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I LOVE the Codex Alera books and hate that there won't be any more. I may start to read them over again, would love to buy those ones. They are PHENOMENAL!!!!

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Where do you guys get all your books? I've been getting from the library, but have recently signed up for Borders rewards program. I'm hesitant to buy books since I hardly read any twice, but hate waiting for the ones at the library.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I tend to wait until they get cheaper...so some novels I read two or three years behind on hard cover, after the paperback has come out already. There are also discount book chains, like books a million and such that are good. Plus where I am they sell books at the closeout store. Getting a book for $2.99 is great. I read some books more than once, but where I live the libraries aren't great at all. The closest one to me is open less than 10 hours a week. The bigger ones tend not to have the novels I want to read.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Our library is crap. They do get stuff like Jeffery Deaver or Baldacci and that is where I borrow those but for the unusual books fa get about it! I tend to buy at Amazon, they have good deals and free shipping on most buys.

Re Tatoo, big agree about Lisbeth. she is the best new character I can recall forever.

I just bought Passages, which is supposed to be a vampire thing, and "The Man Who Loved Children", an old book about a dysfunctional family which got raves from NY Times. I don't like vampire books with rmance usually or fantasy either. Sci Fi, used to love the Anne Rice early vampire books, and the Necrommancer books by Brian Lumely who I strongly suggest to vampire lovers.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I order from the library. Haven't bought any books since Deathly Hallows came out. I read books over and over and over again. I have found good deals on amazon.com too. Ebay might be a good place to look at too.

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
We are usually at Barnes & Noble a few times a month. Darling Princess will reread books she likes more times than I can count. I usually buy my fave authors in hard cover there too, I will generally read more than once. It can get spendy but with the membership, we save a good bit over the year and we love our books!

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Actually, I buy a lot of books, many from the local independent book seller. That's important to me for a number of reasons:

1. We always, always, always bought books. No matter how poor: every pay day was a trip to the book store, even if it was just for a soft cover children's book for one of the kids and maybe something from the discount bin. Those days it was a university bookstore, for the most part. I love to read and don't give myself nearly enough time to do it.

2. I like the bookstore owner, on a personal level. I appreciate how much he does for our community, a small city at a minimum of 30 miles away from the next largest city with a a larger (chain) bookstore. Chris works hard in our community, organizing, producing and promoting a variety of literacy and cultural programs aimed at people of all ages, from toddlers to seniors. He's a young man and is working very hard at something he loves in order to help provide for his family. I admire the grace and determination he exhibits. AND--he's great at his job. He and his staff always have terrific picks/recommendations. He's never steered me wrong and is almost always able to get whatever I want, and in those rare cases when he cannot, he steers me towards someone who can.

3. I also deeply appreciate the principles of an independent book seller vs the generic big retail chains which have so much, but have so much less personality, so much less in terms of personal service. Big chains don't just sell books, they also help to determine what gets published, what gets put out on book shelves. I am uncomfortable with just one or two major chains of bookstores with remote corporate headquarters having so much power over such an important part of my life, of all our lives: what is published and what is available to the public.

4. Unfortunately, I am not able to get to my local library very often. I work every Sat. and am off Mon-Tues. The library is closed on Mondays (as are a lot of things around here) so I often have a lot to cram into my Tuesdays. I love my library, but until I can retire, it's not going to be something I can indulge in very often, sadly enough.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I would support a local bookstore but I don't think there is one in the entire Phoenix metro area. I used to like to go to the little clothes and jewelry shops that were individually owned but they are all closed. The only one who has stayed in business is a bead/jewelry shop run by a friend of mine. She also carries some of my ceramic work in her gallery. Check it out if you are curiousl
www.scottsdalebead.com

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
The only 'local' booksellers we have are the used books. I use to get all my books that way and from Barnes & Nobel or Sam's when they were on sale, etc. As I've mentioned before I now have a Kindle and get them through Amazon. They are wicked cheap that way and my Kindle has already paid for itself. ;)

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hah! Gate, you will NEVER convert me to Kindle, no matter how quickly it pays for itself.

I know that independent booksellers (independent anything, really) are hard to find and disappearing, fast. That's another reason I feel so passionate about them. I know how lucky we are to have what we do and I want to keep it around as long as I can....Am a bit worried: we have as many tatoo parlors as we do bookstores in this town, which is an improved ratio from before Chris opened his store. Keep in mind this is a college town, with two universities and a tech school. Off campus, only two bookstores, one of them not a 'real' bookstore, selling only best sellers. Am not sure if the used paperback one is still around. It moved to another part of town, off my beaten path, a few years ago and I've lost track.....

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think we have 2 used book stores here, but I haven't been to either. Was wondering how good the selection was there. Perhaps I will check them out. Other than that, I don't think we have any independent booksellers, just B&N and Borders.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
My one area of true obsessive compulsive behavior is book buying. I have 2800+ hardbacks. I spend way too much money on books.

Part of the reason is that, in order to alleviate my resentment of DH's smoking, I've allowed myself a budget of $100 a month for books. Of course, that means our savings are pretty slim. :O

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
To all my book lovers ~

Move Over Gutenberg: Will E-Books Spell the End of Paper And Ink?

[/url]

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply