Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (9,688 Views)
Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate, I got the first one and am enjoying it a lot, but only about 25% into it. I just read another about computers I think it was Fear Index.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK Gate, I am 3/4 though first one and really loving it. guess I will be infor all 3 for sure.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I bought then (inexpensive) and just finished, hsb will want to read as well. Really great, thanks for the tip.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Bummer about the book club, doesn't everyone get to pick? I would think it would be like a round table where everyone got a turn.

This series is very unique. I am tired of same old same old and admit I do limit myself a lot as I like mystery, gory stuff, anything King. Some of the authors who churn them out like Koontz can be good one time and meh another, I have left several I used to enjoy (Baldacci, Preston/Childs, Tammy Hoag) as they just got so repetitive. Then some are one hit wonders too. Could not get into Hunger Games at all. I get the weekend Times and pick things from their book reviews some hits and misses. Love the kindle sample ability.

Reading short story by King for Kindle now (tall grass?) or something, Really a older type scare your socks off King. But short. Bummer. I want 900 pages...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am fussy too, don't like much but action, mystery and horror. Maybe a historical biography. Liked a book called War about Afghanistan, and one called Unbroken (WW 2). Also a non fiction one called methland, a real eye opener that I would make required reading for every young adult in the nation.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I read abut 1 non fiction a year, maybe.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate, we could have everyone read Reborn then we'd be heads up on that one! :)

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I would use if for toilet paper :)

I just ordere GG for my Kindle.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just loaded Gone Girl on my Kindle and will start it tonight.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow, I am 10% inot Gone Girl and HATE it! Amy is such a self absorbed bitch, I don't care that she is gone! I hope Dexter got her! And the hsb is such a douche bag, I doubt he would have killed her. Maybe the sister got her? I just hope she suffered.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK but only cause I trust you!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am about 1/4 and it is improving...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK Gate, this book would make for a great discussion. I am half way through and hate both of them. I would call it more a "woman's book" or a relationship book, not the murder mystery I thought I was getting. So knowing that I would never have bought it, and for the life of me I am totally confused as to how this would ever be a best seller. But I admit there are a lot of interesting talking points about both characters and male and female expectations as well.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am at 62%. I don't want to say too much here as I don't want to spoil it for other folks but I sort of figured this is what happened with Amy from pretty early on.

I have to say though, like watching a train wreck, I have to keep reading cause I am not sure how it will end except I hope these awful people will not procreate.

God, if I had a spouse that made me read little shit poems and leave clues to some treasure hunt, someone would be gone as well.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, they are disturbed for sure. Psychopaths, I will tell you when I finish it!

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have 10% to go with GG and I really have to say I hate this woman most than most ax murderers in the crime novels I have read. I am curious enough to finish it though.

Gate, How is the Baldacci book? I liked his first one but the rest have been so so.

Let me know if you find another Reborn....

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate, the kitten is adorable!

Man I HATED Gone Girl. I will not see the movie. The woman made my skin crawl. She was like Hannibal Lecter in that she is disqusting!!!! And that douche bag husband.

Spoiler, and I don't want to ruin the ending for those of you who have the misfortune of reading this book:

He should have killed her. I don't care if he went to jail. If she had done that to me I would have killed her. The worst is her having a child. Even if he tries to even it out the kid will be a psychopath at best. I hated her even more for getting pregnant, beacuse that is how many controlling women try to exert power over their men. I just hated her...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I might try Sharp Objects. My mother is very controlling. It is not that Flynn is not a good writer, she is, she would have to be to make me hate a character so much. Unfortunately I know some Amys, not as clever or they might pull something as evil. But being that evil takes smarts and planning. These try to be equally manipulative but can't frame their spouses as well.

One thing Amy said about being an only child and having to be perfect rang true to me. My mother expects me to be perfect, of course I am not, and I get reminded of it frequently, how I let her down...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really loved Absolute Power but thought he got too formula with subsequent books. I'll try the Turning Evolved as I really liked Reborn. I haven't read anything amazing lately. I read on the stepper at the gym and at night in bed for at least 1/ 2 hour.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate, have you read the Odd books by Dean Koontz? I am reading the most recent one which is so so but I thought the earlier ones were better. If you have an urge, start with the original, Odd Thomas.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
This kitten cracks me up every time I see it. I wish I could have kittens for life.

Yes, Odd is strange. I did like the first couple but now getting kind of repetitive. I like most of Koontz works.

Similar with King, I love his work but could not get into the Gunslinger series.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Correct Dax, as usual. I tried to read those books several times and just could not get into them. Being that I devour every other one he has ever written, what can I say? Dome is a good read but not great. The Shining scared the pants of me when I read it the first time. I was living alone then and could swear the bushes were moving. Christine was the funniest book he ever wrote, he has a great sense of characterization. Cujo, the most depressing. I really loved the last one about Kennedy, it was really un-King like, but a very accurate snapshot of the time.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK well it was free anyhow.

JC, glad you borrowed GG especially if you end up hating it as much as I did!

I am reading something called "The Home" and like it a lot. It is about a group home for teens that are having psychic experiments done on them. You might like it, Gate.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, I said, I hated the 2 of them so much I couldn't enjoy the book at all.

Just finished The Home, Kindle for 3.99 or borrow free. I liked it alot, not great literature but...

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I tend to like dark books as well. The Home is about a group of kids determined to be mentally ill and they are doing experiments on them. Main characters are teens but I liked it quite a bit.

Started 2 new ones, I'll see and let you all know.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
"And She Was", this is quite good, Gate you will like it. About a little girl that goes missing, yes really missing. Good writing, good characters and keeps to in suspense till the end. I did not guess the ending which is very rare for me.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Really recc And She Was....
Now reading a zombie book (!), called Degeneration. It is a quick read, kind of like reading an epi of the WD but it's OK.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Degeneration, is OK, it is too long and their is too much, well, zombie stuff. But if you want something mindless for a quick read it is OK for 99 cents anyhow.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Posted this elsewhere but started Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill who is Stephen King's son. I am only 25% into it but really like it so far. Writing is like earlier King novels.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I finished "Heart Shaped Box", Joe Hill. I liked it a lot. A ghost story, some violence. Like old King or Koontz. Gate, I think you will like it.
Edited by Krystal, Apr 6 2013, 01:41 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: