Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (9,005 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Huh. My review makes me want to reread ASAP. I fully intend to reread before the movie comes out in MARCH!!!!

Spoilery for those who haven't read the books.
http://www.thehungergamesmovie.com/index2.html

Geez I cried already when

Spoiler: click to toggle

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I do agree the one weakness is the third book is rushed a bit, and some problems with plotting. But overall still excellent.

Currently re-reading The Chronicles of Amber, one kick-ass fantasy series. Now THAT would make a great movie series. If I get a spare minute I may re-read the cheesy pulpy Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars series, what with the movie coming out. Can't wait to see the pin-up version of Dejah Thoris, the cool green martian monster warriors, and Tarzan John Carter...

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
My TWoP post-Game of Thrones book club reading list... The club started in June of 2011 and sort of petered out by Christmas, but we read a lot of books on a two week schedule.

They are all good fantasy (or science fiction) books, with the majority truly outstanding. I'll highlight the ones I read for the first time this past year that I especially recommend, though many are 'oldie but goodies.'

The Privilege of the Sword - by Ellen Kushner
Dragonflight - by Anne McCaffrey
Good Omens - by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
Sunshine - by Robin McKinley
Furies of Calderon - by Jim Butcher
The Sparrow - by Mary Doria Russell (SF)
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter - by Seth Grahame-Smith
The Warrior's Apprentice (found in the compilation Young Miles) - by Lois McMaster Bujold
Hyperion - by Dan Simmons
Assassin's Apprentice - by Robin Hobb
The Princess Bride - by William Goldman
Street Magic - by Caitlin Kittredge
The Sacrifice: The First Book of the Fey - by Kristine Kathryn Rusch TRULY outstanding. So good I bought the series, including the rare 4th book selling for tons of money on rare book sites. (I bought a 'worn paperback reading copy for $28)
The Adamantine Palace - by Stephen Deas (skipped this one...could be good?)
Nine Princes in Amber (found in the collection The Great Book of Amber) - by Roger Zelazny
Litany of the Long Sun - by Gene Wolfe
The Dragonbone Chair - by Tad Williams

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
One ONE????

Well let me list the ones that are essential reading:

Sunshine - by Robin McKinley. Best vampire book ever. Nearly nearly a better vamp than Spike, because he's truly Otherworld.

Furies of Calderon - by Jim Butcher. Just awesome....many in the TWoP club agreed it's better than GoT, and the series as a whole ENDS, and ends well. (Granted after six books)

The Warrior's Apprentice (found in the compilation Young Miles) - by Lois McMaster Bujold My pick... There's spec that GRRM stole the character of Miles for Tyrion. Must read for GoT fans. This is the first book, and is excellent, but books 2 and 3, and some later in the series are even better. The series has Hugo and Nebula winners.

The Princess Bride - by William Goldman 'nuff said.

Nine Princes in Amber (currently found in the collection The Great Book of Amber) - by Roger Zelazny. My second pick for the club. Revolutionary concepts and storytelling, all in 180 pages. The five book series is all of 800 pages. Another one that was debated as "better than GoT" by some. (Not for character development or plotting, but for sheer originality, weirdness, grand sword and sorcery FUN, and a combo of post-new wave meets old school style)

What all of the books have in common is superior, creative world building that puts you in a fully realize universe...

Re: The Fey

I'm not sure at all why Book 4 is so rare. I do know there's massive changes in the publishing industry and Rusch has been at the forefront of alt publishing so that may be a factor.

eta...There are five books. They ARE out of print, but reading copies, INCLUDING shipping from used bookstores, is usually under $10. I got the first book for $2.00 + 3.99 shipping.
Edited by KMInfinity, Mar 14 2012, 05:05 PM.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
A good friend has been recommending the Jack Reacher books for summer fun reading, but i keep getting behind on fun. :-(

They're filming it in Pgh - my friend is very bitter about the Cruise casting. lol

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah the rules of that bookclub suck. Wonder if there'd be interest here for an online bookclub. We had a GoT one over at TWoP for over a year before it faded out. Everyone picked a book, (given certain parameters) and we read a book every two weeks! (pace was intense... one a month would work better...)

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Okay lets push this a bit.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
A student bought O'Reilly's book for me. It's on the shelf. I can send it to you so we can use it as a mathom.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just read a terrific book. I thought it would be a little too sappy and sentimental, but instead I loved it.

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron

http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Purpose-W-Bruce-Cameron/dp/0765330342/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358900605&sr=1-1&keywords=a+dog%27s+purpose

Made me laugh out loud a bunch of times, and cry more than a couple times.

The premise is that this dog keeps being reincarnated to discover his purpose. He DOES remember his past lives (which is a big issue for me regarding reincarnation) and...

The writer is terrific at capturing a dog's perspective, and since it's written in 1st person dog POV that's a good thing. The big metaphor, of course, is that we are like the dog, and even though much of life seems incomprehensible, there really is meaning that we can't always see.

I liked it better than Marley and Me, and am tempted to place it on the same rung as Lassie Come Home (tho for different reasons).

Highly HIGHLY recommended, especially for all dog lovers.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have the first Odd and have wanted to read it. I loved his book One Door Away from Heaven.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gatekeeper
Feb 4 2013, 05:14 PM

Still have to read the dog book KMI recommended.
;- )

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Okay you really need to balance all that gloom with A Dog's Purpose. Just sayin'.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am really excited about this. I follow him on twitter and he's just wonderful. Although, I laugh because even his 'kids' books are not really 'just' kids books.
Edited by KMInfinity, Apr 6 2013, 10:25 AM.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Reminding Gate (and all dog lovers) to read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Purpose-W-Bruce-Cameron/dp/0765330342/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1369526242&sr=1-3

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Go for it!!! You write pretty well when you post.

I just finished a really good mystery/thriller. In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming.

http://www.amazon.com/Bleak-Midwinter-Fergusson-Alstyne-Mystery/dp/0312986769/ref=tmm_mmp_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1369588620&sr=8-1

It's the first of a series set in upstate New York. The interaction between the two main characters is very well done, and the mystery and the tension were also believable and

The premise is that Clare is an Episcopalian minister, just out of the military, and still dealing with being a woman in a nontraditional role. She befriends the local police chief, also exmilitary, but an atheist. So they have some things in common, some they disagree about. And he's married. Can they just be friends? I really enjoyed their dialog as they discuss their views via the case. Witty, intelligent, tense, quality writing.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
There's a sequel. It's great too.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
My eyes have been feeling good lately so I've been reading more.

Finished Book Five of the Clare Fergusson murder series over the weekend. Great philosophical series with mayhem and action i recc'ed above.

Finished the first in a historical mystery series that has Abigail Adams as the sleuth. Much better than I expected, with well integrated historical detail, but too mature for my class, what with the serial killer - who is a member of the Sons of Liberty about to dump the Boston Tea - also raping his victims and slashing them up a lot. It would make a great, weird HBO series. lol

Reading slowly a Christian philosophy analysis called The Divine Conspiracy. Very intellectual approach to understanding Christian beliefs, especially focused on the Beatitudes. really enjoying it. I am all about the philosophical and no so strong on the community and social.

I am only 36 pages into Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane and it is so wonderful. Made me cry already. Dax this one will be hard for you to read I think at this point in your life, but maybe also the perfect time?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finished "Ocean at the End of the Lane." Another excellent Gaiman story. So may true, lovely, lines. I will spoiler this about the ending in case some want to read it later and so Dax doesn't accidentally read it:
Spoiler: click to toggle

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I loved Lavinia! Le Guin is a great favorite of mine.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm currently reading Book Three of this genre series. Gate I think you might like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Called-Mercy-Thompson-Book/dp/0441013813/ref=pd_luc_chashrec_02_02_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mercedes Thompson is a Walker (NOT a skinwalker), one of the few Native American shifters still around. She was raised by a werewolf pack. She's an historian and mechanic. She solves mysteries related to the supernatural community. The wolves, vampires, fae, and supes are all much more realistically imagined and developed than most books of the urban fantasy genre. The writing is well done, witty and engaging.

Nearly as good as Jim Butcher's

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think they're up to #7. I have 4,5,6 in my Amazon cart.

Is the spinoff the 'Alpha and Omega' series? Did you like that one too Bloss?

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm up to book 8 (of 15!!!!) in the Morganville Vampire series. I liked the earlier books but it's seeming stale. So I'm wondering how I'll make it to #15. I ha ven't read the Weather Warden series. I'll add it to my list.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Is Dr. Sleep a sequel?

I have not read a book in weeks. Too busy. And like an addict I am getting twitchy. :-(

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'll check out Dr. Sleep for Christmas. Sadly that may be the first chance I get to read.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I didn't really like the first in that series - it was okay, 3 stars for me. The kids LOVE it, though they admit it's not as good as THG series. The lit teacher and I use it as alt examples of the attempts to create utopian societies - tie ins with Animal Farm, The Giver, Flatland (which is mathematical and genius, but REALLY dry for those of us who like characters), and The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
That sounds good. I'll add it to my summer reading list.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think I'll check out the Oyeyemi novel. thnx

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm currently reading the third book in the Chet and Bernie mystery series. Chet's the dog, and the narrator. He flunked out of K9 police work. Cats, you know.

Fun, fast action mysteries, with a lot of humor and a bit of sentimental mixed in with the hard-boiled sam spade style. The author Spencer Quinn does an excellent job getting inside the dog's head. Hilarious if you like dogs.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-It-Bernie-Mystery-Series/dp/1416585842/ref=wp_bs_1_B00CJ5UNV0_paperback

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
One those "when I retire" goals....

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The Chet the Dog series gets better with each book. Highly recommend to dog lovers. The author really captures being in the dog's mind as narrator. The non sequiters as the dog tries to understand humans is hilarious.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: