Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (8,997 Views)
tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yeah, I've never been able to get over seeing Tom Cruise as a snot faced kid and really, I'm not that much older than he is. Not really (cough, cough).

I recognize his talent; I just don't enjoy him. And a co-worker and I had a small celebration when we learned that Katie and Suri had escaped.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oooh! I'd love an online book club! I agree that two weeks might not be realistic but I really would love the chance to read something with a group of people!

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gone Girl is excellent and could be a very thought provoking choice. Plus: I've read a lot of it and could use a motivator to finish.

Falls (somewhat loosely) into the mystery/thriller category. Young cool/hip married couple with a seemingly perfect marriage/life have their world turned upside down when the wife goes missing..... told from the perspective of both husband and wife.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'd use it for kindling, myself. Or sent it to O'Reilly asking if he's checked out that whackadoodle.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gone Girl could be a terrific film, actually. Biggest worry is that the book will spoil the plot twist. Haven't read any of Flynn's other books...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I know that there are Neil Gaiman fans on this board and probably, you already know but just in case:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane: A Novel by Neil Gaiman
Release date: June 18, 2013

[quoteIn Gaiman's first novel for adults since 2005, a man recalls a story: when he was seven years old, he found himself in unimaginable danger, his only hope the girl at the end of the lane. She says her duck pond is an ocean. She may be telling the truth. After all, her grandmother remembers the Big Bang. A brilliantly imaginative and poignant fairytale from the modern master of wonder and terror.][/quote]

For more details (and some spoilers):
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just wanted to post a link here because Maria recommended the Divergent books and I know that jcluckey (and daughter, I think) read them and liked them and probably KMInfinity, too: They're making a movie, with some big names.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/summit-divergent

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMInfinity
May 25 2013, 07:00 PM
Reminding Gate (and all dog lovers) to read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Purpose-W-Bruce-Cameron/dp/0765330342/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1369526242&sr=1-3

Thanks KMI! I may have to pick that up for my vacation.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Lavinia by Ursela K. LeGuin. Based on the last 6 books of the Aeneid, a retelling from the point of view of Lavinia, a minor character in Virgil's epic, the last wife of Aeneas. At about age 10 or 11, I plowed through Homer's Odyssey and Iliad and started the Aeneid, but never really got into it as much. Really enjoying it.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just ordered 5 Days at Memorial from my local bookseller. (yes, I am still that old school, as long as he's in business.)

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just got it, Krystal. 5 Days at Memorial, that is. I only made it part way through the very beginning and I can tell already that it will be extremely compelling and also extremely heart rending. Will let you know when I get a chance to get into it a bit more.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Oct 6 2013, 12:15 AM
I am really glad you are reading it. The first half left me in tears every page. The second infuriated me, that they would condemn the auctions of these people after. No matter your stance on the subject though, it is really an amazing read.
OK, I feel better because I have already been in tears! And also a bit annoyed that the writer does not understand the rationale for a hospital's evacuation priorities.

It's a rainy, icky, gray day and so I am planning to curly up and read some more, as long as I don't tear up too much. Or gnash my teeth too hard.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I haven't gotten much further with 5 days. Hope to over the next few days.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yes, I know it will be slower going for me. For one thing, my nose sore because it runs when I cry.

In general I haven't been productive at all: allergy season from hell. But it is better the past few days. Have been doing some lighter stuff, too.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Am hoping to get Sycamore Row for Christmas. It sounded like a good read.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for the recommendation, Krystal. I'll probably go to my bookseller tomorrow. Although I have an embarrassingly tall stack of books to read....

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
No kindle. I spend a lot of time in front of screens at work, for one thing. For another, I genuinely love books: the feel of the book in my hand, the cover art, the way the pages feel when they turn. I know that if I had no choice or if it became extremely important for me to reduce the bulk because I was traveling for a long time, that I could do it. It just doesn't seem that appealing to me. As it is, I literally have books in every single room in my house (Victorian, with 4 bedrooms plus attic and basement). I love to read. I love to escape into books, and a screen just doesn't give me that same warm, cozy feeling.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I can see why it makes sense for you. A kindle might be worth it to use on the machines we have downstairs. I need some motivation to get moving. During my work week, my hours are so long that it is really not possible to get much of a chance to actually do anything like exercise. I don't have any good excuse for my days off.....except I need to develop the habit. A kindle is not a bad idea.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just finished a couple that I would easily recommend for those interested:

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.
http://www.amazon.com/Americanah-Chimamanda-Ngozi-Adichie/dp/0307455920/ref=la_B001JS3BBC_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403635864&sr=1-1

Boy Snow Bird by Helen Oeyemi
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/books/review/boy-snow-bird-by-helen-oyeyemi.html?_r=0

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Am reading The Secret Place, the latest from Tana French. I am really enjoying it. I find I love every other book she writes in her Dublin detective series, where each book is loosely tied together. This one: a detective in cold cases is contacted by a school girl who was a witness in a murder case he was involved with years earlier. This involves an unsolved murder of a teenaged boy who attended a private all male boarding school adjacent to the private all girl boarding school. The body was found on the grounds of the girls school...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I think that somehow I forgot to mention Boy Snow Bird by Helen Oyeyemi, which I found absolutely mesmerizing. It's a re-telling of the Snow White fairy tale. Here's a link to the review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/books/review/boy-snow-bird-by-helen-oyeyemi.html?_r=0

I seem to have had a thing for Nigerian authors because I also fell in love with Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Here's a link to the NYT review: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/books/review/americanah-by-chimamanda-ngozi-adichie.html

But I first learned of the book listening to an NPR interview with the author, with whom I also fell in love. I need to get other books by her...

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Gate, you should not still be having migraines, certainly not on a continual basis. Have you seen a neurologist?

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good! Please do.

Now: I saw you were just on and hope you still are: Emergency help needed: Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Fire? For my youngest son who is very low maintenance and who has never asked for one of these before in his life.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks. His primary reason is to use as a reader. He has a laptop so I don't think he feels the need for an ipad.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just ordered mine from Amazon (sorry local independent bookseller).

What they REALLY need to make a high quality series about is Julian May's The Many Colored Land series.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read all of the Plieocene series --prequels and the whole of it. I started the Rampart series and Trillium but they didn't grab me the same way. I found Many Coloured Land first, and with each set, I fell in love more. I would really love to have it be an entire series of films or a television series. Strong characters and intriguing ideas.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
There are so many dog lovers here that I feel the need to share: Dog Medicine by Julie Barton. A memoir/love story about how a puppy helped a young woman climb out of her depression. Fair warning: you will cry.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Something completely different: Heather Havrilesky, How to Be a Person in the World: Ask Polly's Guide Through the Paradoxes of Modern Life. Smart, funny, true.

I admit to being a big fan of advice columns. This is definitely the column/book I need now.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
LeGuin is my favorite fantasy/sci fi writer. I am a huge fan of The Dispossessed, as well as the Earthsea Trilogy and all of them. LHOD is fantastic.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I just clicked on the link in Dax's post and it worked for me.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: