Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (9,643 Views)
Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Finished The Hunger Game Series ... Just WOW is all I'm going to say.

I think I'm going to go back and read 1984. I haven't read it since 1974 and I was very young at the time and don't remember much of it. ;)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
shelle_cr
Jan 17 2012, 05:06 PM
Gate, I can't decide whether to read The Hunger Games before or after the film.
Read the books before. The books are so good and it will take years before all 3 movies are released. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
shelle_cr
Jan 18 2012, 10:42 AM
I'm thinking about it.

Then I read this review sort of where someone had a valid point. When you read the book first and it's brilliant you mostly get disappointed with the film. So I'm on the fence now. Will check our library and see if I manage to read it before it comes to cinema. I liked the trailer a lot.
BUT if you see the movie first the book plot, twist and turns will be ruined and you won't enjoy it as much. ;) READ THE BOOKS FIRST! :icecream:

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
You won't be disappointed Shelle but they are VERY sad books.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
shelle_cr
Jan 23 2012, 05:48 AM
I've finally finished the saga!
All 3 books or the first one? Well... How did you like them?

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hunger Games Movie Trailer - http://www.toofab.com/2012/02/02/hunger-games-super-bowl-trailer-video/

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
While away on vacation I read a lot. I really enjoyed The Day Eight Series (The Reborn, Of Mice & Hitmen, & Spiritual Singularity) by Ray Mazza. I got the first one for free (now $.99) at the Amazon Kindle Store. Here is the link ~ http://www.amazon.com/Ray-Mazza/e/B0098NTXBW/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

They were extremely interesting and refreshing take on computer simulations i.e., a super intelligent human being simulating inside a computer program. Interesting religious undertones and a very satisfying ending to the trilogy. I highly recommend it.

Thursday I have a neighborhood book club and they are reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. I vaguely remember it from middle/high school so I need to re-read it before Thursday.

Fifty Shades of Grey won't be on my reading list. I just have so much other stuff to read and I'm not into that type of stuff. I am more into mystery, horror, etc. I got together with one of my good friends who is very quiet and meek ... totally opposite of me. We 'thought' we were going to be able to exchange books on the Kindle but she had nothing but romance and I have ZERO romance on mine. She read 'Fifty Shades of Grey' and I asked her how it was ... Her response "mild compared to what I read'. LOL ... That definitely shocked me!

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Sep 24 2012, 10:35 AM
Gate, I got the first one and am enjoying it a lot, but only about 25% into it. I just read another about computers I think it was Fear Index.
Krystal, you will have to read ALL of them if you want to find out how the story ends. It's like an epic trilogy. I hope you continue to enjoy it. I'll go look up the book Fear Index. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Sep 25 2012, 03:05 PM
OK Gate, I am 3/4 though first one and really loving it. guess I will be infor all 3 for sure.
Krystal, ff you have them on the Kindle (or use your iPad Kindle reader) I can loan them to you. I 'think' I could figure out how to do it but I think book 2 & 3 were only $4 total. PM me if you want to borrow them. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal, I'm trying to get my husband to read them ( The Day Eight Series) but once I told him it was about computer simulation he backed away. I keep trying to tell him it's not a typical computer geek lover book/series.

I belong to a neighborhood book club and I wanted to put that on the list but apparently I don't get a say in what books we read even though I'm hosting the next book club. :/ I'm not happy.

I just started Déjà Vu (The Saskia Brandt Series Book One) FREE at the Kindle store. So far it's very good. I'll keep you guys posted.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Oct 9 2012, 05:33 PM
Bummer about the book club, doesn't everyone get to pick? I would think it would be like a round table where everyone got a turn.
I 'thought' everyone got to pick and the person who was hosting got the final say but I was wrong. So they picked the book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It was OK but not something that I wouldn't have read on my own. What really annoyed me was the last book book we read was 'To Kill a Mockingbird" and 1/2 the ladies didn't read it and opted to watch the movie instead. Not sure why they bothered to show up if they didn't read the book. I'm going to host the next book club and then bow out.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm game as long as it's a GOOD book. LOL ... I can't read anything I'm not interested in. KMI since it was your idea would you like to throw out titles for the first book? I'll start a separate thread and then we can see if we can all agree on a book. ;)

~~~

Right now I'm reading 'The Season of the Harvest' by Michael R. Hicks and I can't put it down. It's a trilogy but only the 1st 2 are written. Very suspenseful!
Edited by Gatekeeper, Oct 15 2012, 07:20 AM.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sorry Krystal but I'm not into historical biography. I'm strictly a fiction reader. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Oct 15 2012, 02:00 PM
Gate, we could have everyone read Reborn then we'd be heads up on that one! :)
Of course I'd like that idea because I thought the book(s) were amazing but I 'think' the trilogy would have to be read as one long book because you can't just read one of them. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just read 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn for my neighborhood book club and I wanted to say it was fabulous! An excellent read! It's a mystery/thriller and I really don't want to give too much away but it has some serious twist/turns and is wonderfully written.

Our next neighborhood book club will featuring 'Killing Kennedy' by Bill O'Reilly. I of course have a hard time wanting to buy the book because I detest O'Reilly and won't give him a cent so I'm not sure I will participate. I also had to laugh because I'm the only non-Republican in the hood and they were trying to tell me O'Reilly is a Democrat. Really? I don't think so. I know he is registered at Independent or something and tries to 'pretend' he is fair and balanced but I'm not buying that.

Back to Gone Girl ... I'm going to read Gillian Flynn's other 2 books. Anyone ever read any of her books? Thoughts?

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMInfinity
Jan 11 2013, 09:26 PM
A student bought O'Reilly's book for me. It's on the shelf. I can send it to you so we can use it as a mathom.
LOL thanks KMI but my friend brought me her copy. She's the one friend that I know is a Republican but we don't talk politics at all. I bought the other Gillian Flynn books for my Kindle/iPad and I think I'm going to pass on Killing Kennedy. I just have ZERO interest and I always feel life is too short to read all the books I truly want to get to and Mr. O'Reilly is not on that list. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jan 14 2013, 02:21 PM
Wow, I am 10% inot Gone Girl and HATE it! Amy is such a self absorbed bitch, I don't care that she is gone! I hope Dexter got her! And the hsb is such a douche bag, I doubt he would have killed her. Maybe the sister got her? I just hope she suffered.
LOL .... Keep reading Krystal and come back when you are more than 1/2 way through the book. Trust me! ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
LOL Krystal. Are you more than 1/2 way through or exactly 1/2 way through with the book. It does matter. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jan 19 2013, 02:03 PM
I would call it more a "woman's book" or a relationship book, not the murder mystery I thought I was getting.
I never thought of it as a "woman's book" or a relationship book but more of a 'twisted' mystery. I just love psychopaths and I think this book fills that quest!

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just read Gillian Flynn's other 2 books 'Dark Places' & 'Sharp Objects'. Both very good but I still like 'Gone Girl' the most. Gillian either has a great imagination or some serious personal problems. I'm hoping it's the great imagination.

Now I'm reading The Forgotten by David Baldacci. When I finish that I'm going back to Techno-Thrillers.

I'm NOT going to read the O'Reilly book 'Killing Kennedy' for my book club. I just have to decide do I tell them 1) the truth I refuse to read O'Reilly or 2) come up with another BS excuse.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jan 22 2013, 07:04 PM
Say that his hate rhetoric makes you uncomfortable, and you'd rather not (by reading his book) encourage him to continue his side-career.
Thanks Dax. I think I'm going to tell her just that.

~~~

Krystal, I just started the Baldacci book The Forgotten so it's too to tell. I really liked 'The Innocent' and I enjoyed 'The Camel Club Series'.

~~~

KMI, I will definitely put A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron on my reading list. You know how much I love dogs. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jan 23 2013, 05:03 PM
Gate, the kitten is adorable!

Man I HATED Gone Girl. I will not see the movie. The woman made my skin crawl. She was like Hannibal Lecter in that she is disqusting!!!! And that douche bag husband.

Spoiler, and I don't want to ruin the ending for those of you who have the misfortune of reading this book:

He should have killed her. I don't care if he went to jail. If she had done that to me I would have killed her. The worst is her having a child. Even if he tries to even it out the kid will be a psychopath at best. I hated her even more for getting pregnant, beacuse that is how many controlling women try to exert power over their men. I just hated her...
Glad you liked the kitten.

OK so your reaction to Gone Girl was VERY strong. Don't you find that good when you HATE a character that much? That is what I liked about it. She was so sick and twisted and unusual for a woman that it made the book really good. PS - I would have killed her too!

Krystal, you probably would not like the other 2 books Gilliam Flynn wrote but you may be intrigued by the controlling mom in 'Sharp Objects'.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jan 22 2013, 07:56 PM
Gate, How is the Baldacci book? I liked his first one but the rest have been so so.

Let me know if you find another Reborn....
My husband LOVES Baldacci. I just finished The Forgotten it's a squeal to Zero Day which I didn't read first .... doy! It didn't matter. Like most Baldacci books it has a strong male army guy in it and strong women. I liked The Forgotten but it wasn't great. I think I've figured out his style so I always know 'who did it' so that kind of stinks.

Right now I'm reading Turning Evolved. It's FREE at the Kindle Store and has great reviews. It's a techno-triller. First chapter has me hooked.

So I'm trying to read a book a week for the entire year. So far I'm on my 5th book this year. I usually watch a lot of TV at night but recently I've been reading. A lot of my shows aren't on right now or have gone bye-bye. I also have free time during the day with hubby semi-retired. I just hope my eyes can hold up with all this reading. My font on my iPad and/or Kindle keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. :P

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jan 27 2013, 03:04 PM
Gate, have you read the Odd books by Dean Koontz? I am reading the most recent one which is so so but I thought the earlier ones were better. If you have an urge, start with the original, Odd Thomas.

PS ~ I just started Turning Evolved so I can't vouch for it yet. ;)
I love Dean Koontz but I do not like the Odd Thomas series. I tried reading the first one and never made it through it. It just couldn't hold my interest.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax
Jan 27 2013, 08:26 PM
First couple ARE slow-paced (and there's getting-to-know-the-world going on), so I get it, but... really worth it once you break through. They're the work that's most personal to him, and they weave through pretty much all of the other books, too, so...
The first 2 ARE slow. I have them on my to do list. It has been sooo long since I read the first 2 I may need to start over ... or skim. I haven't read the rest of the series but they are loaded on my iPad just waiting.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
jcluckey
Jan 30 2013, 09:35 AM
Just got Gone Girl from the library, excited to read it!
Let us know how you like it. I loved it. ;)

Krystal, I'm not sure you are going to like Turning Evolved. I'm only 1/2 way through it but I can see why you may be turned off by it. I personally am enjoying it so I'll let you know what I think as I read on.

Edited by Gatekeeper, Jan 30 2013, 01:59 PM.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Jan 30 2013, 07:50 PM

I am reading something called "The Home" and like it a lot. It is about a group home for teens that are having psychic experiments done on them. You might like it, Gate.
Yeah ... it sounds like something I would like. Thanks. ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Krystal
Feb 4 2013, 04:25 PM
Just finished The Home, Kindle for 3.99 or borrow free. I liked it alot, not great literature but...
I'll have to read that. I'm side track now ready apocalyptic books. From time to time I like to read VERY dark books just to make me feel better about my life. LOL ... Just kidding ... Things aren't that bad but I love a good distraction and I want to be prepared when the zombies and/or a good plague wipes out most of the human race. ;)

I did finish Turning Evolved. I liked it but wasn't in love with it. I did like how it ended but I don't want to say too much.

Still have to read the dog book KMI recommended.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just finished Breakers Series ~ Breakers, Outcome (Breakers), Melt Down (Breakers) by Robertson, Edward W. They are apocalyptic books. They were OK not great. One of them was free so if you like that I would check out the rest. There will be another one too.

I think I'm going to stick with more apocalyptic books for the moment. LOL ... I want to be ready for Zombie invasion or little green men! ;)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
LOL KMI! You are right but I'm in one of those moods. Maybe after next week! ;)

Krystal, I love zombies. :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: