Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (9,646 Views)
bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Has anyone read The Eye of the World or The Name of the Wind?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Geez that series went on longer than GoT and is now being continued by Sanderson. I think he just published the finale. I did not read Robert Jordan. I heard early on it was a 12 book series and I just decided I'd save that mess for my retirement. I've heard good things and bad things. Someday I'll catch up on it. Let me know what you think.

A good friend LOVES Rothfuss. I have two on my shelf waiting to be read this summer. I was going to wait until he finished the trilogy but he writes almost as slowly as GRRM, and has only finished two books in 6 years. And now I hear he's decided he needs at least FOUR books to tell his tale.

GRRM has a lot of sins on his soul to balance his brilliance. :P

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I love the look and gimmick of Rothfuss' 'kids' books' that are Not Really For Children, but I haven't read them... I'm pretty sure I'd like them, though...

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Interesting.

A friend of mine has all of The Wheel of Time books, so that's an option of no cost to me. I highly doubt I'd finish the series, though, knowing how I am.

Since I started looking for a new book in the fantasy genre, I've seen plenty of praise for The Name of the Wind, and I'm kinda leaning in that direction. But, I'm seeing more mixed reviews for the second book in that series. I don't know.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Did you finish Brothers Karamazov? How was it?

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I loved the first two parts of Brothers Karamazov. It was like a philosophical soap opera with a bunch of psychologically damaged characters. The father was supposed to be a despicable guy but I found him rather amusing, especially his bickering with one of his in-laws.

I got a bit impatient and restless during the final two parts, which isn't that unusual for a book of such length. I skipped a couple of the "books" (it's divided into parts, books and chapters) by using the synopsis and analysis at SparkNotes. Overall, I enjoyed the book but probably would have been more frustrated if it hadn't been for my friend, SparkNotes. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on GoodReads.
Edited by bilki, Feb 20 2015, 10:05 PM.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
>>>>>I got a bit impatient and restless during the final two parts, which isn't that unusual for a book of such length.
This came up in my grad studies when we were reading Middlemarch. We discussed how the length for Georgian and Victorian era novels was a result of the leisure time for reading, fewer distractions from other media, and the 'family reading time' when people would read aloud to each other after dinner. We also decided that in general, even the best novels of that type could stand some major editing and 'getting to the point' and 'stop beating the dead horse' syndrome. :P

I do notice my ability to immerse in a book for hours and days has become impaired. Partly age, partly eye strain, but largely, I am sure, sure to the 'vine' culture I am living in.
Edited by KMInfinity, Feb 21 2015, 10:54 AM.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I hadn't really thought about it but easy access to other forms of media is certainly a source of my nagging restlessness while reading, with the ease of simply finding another book to read being the most prominent. I feel like once a book slows enough to start to lose my attention my mind starts wandering to how the next book might satisfy me in a way the current book seems to be failing. And all I have to do is click on the interwebs to start snooping around for the next meal for my mind.

I chose Dune for my next attempt. I read the first few pages of The Name of the Wind and it didn't grab me, so I decided to pass on it for now.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I would rather read than almost anything. I take my Kindle to the gym and it alone is why I can stay on that Godamn stepper 4 x week. Reading makes the time go faster than any TV show ever, and of course if I really loved a TV show, i would not be watching it at the gym anyhow.

I really do not sit in front of the computer that much. Talking to you guys in about it, other than shcecking Facebook a couple times a day.

Good books, or at least ones I like are hard to find. I don't feel I am up to re reading some of the classics but maybe I should try. I have been re reading Kings long ones and loving them as much as the first time around.

I am loving Wayward Pines, and really it is just quick paced sci fi drivel, but it is a page turner and I really am in suspense to see what happens.

Bilki, I loved Dune, but don't know if I would today. Maybe I will try again.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I finsihed the Pines trilogy. I liked them and Gate might like them as well. They are not great literature, but quick reads, and I did want to see what the ending was.

I have Kings new book on the Kindle but may keep it a few weeks prior to reading it.
Edited by Krystal, Jun 3 2015, 08:19 PM.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am not loving Kings new one, about 1/2 way through.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
For the life of me I can't get through Game of Thrones - A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire Book 4. I just find it painfully boring. I really enjoyed the other books but this one is taking me MONTHS to read. I think I'm going to take a break and catch-up on some Stephen King stuff and try and go back. I just HATE to do that.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
YEP! That's the book I stopped reading!

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMInfinity
Sep 6 2015, 07:41 PM
YEP! That's the book I stopped reading!
Did you find it painfully boring? I mean really really boring.

I started to read King' Finders Keepers. It's the follow up to Mr. Mercedes and I'm enjoying it. B-)

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, I didn't get too far. I was pretty turned off after Red Wedding in Book 3, and some other stuff. And when five years passed between Book 3 and 4 I wasn't really highly motivated to read it, so when a friend loaned me a copy I tried to make myself read it but didn't get far.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
If anyone else is reading Leviathan Wakes and would like to discuss it....

:eek:

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
bilki
Jan 6 2016, 02:13 PM
If anyone else is reading Leviathan Wakes and would like to discuss it....

:eek:
Is that a good :eek: ? I haven't started it yet. :yoda:

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am reading John Grisham's rogue lawyer book. It's a quick read and I like it alot so as soon as I'm done with it I will buy the expanse or whatever the first book is called and started right away.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Bilki, It came in the mail today. I'll start it this weekend if the pace of life slows down a bit.

So it's pretty shocking, huh?

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I will get it on Kindle

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm sitting here just smiling at the screen because I want to say something but I can't without being spoiler-ish. The first season of the show isn't going to be able to get through all of Leviathan Wakes from what I can tell. I'm very intrigued by what's going on and I'm only halfway through, which is rare for me.

I'm a bit shocked by one of the revelations, yes, but I haven't read many books of this nature.
Edited by bilki, Jan 7 2016, 12:50 AM.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Book is here. I'm 2/3 thru a heinlein reread and then I'll start it. Hellz bellz it's bigger than I anticipated.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was a little intimidated by its size but I'm moving right through it, and I think I read slower than most. There's a lot going on after the Donnager gets taken out, which has helped.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm on page 110. Discuss here (with spoilerrs?) or in a new thread? NOT the show thread. Or maybe you and I PM, Bilki? LOLOL

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Just ordered mine from Amazon (sorry local independent bookseller).

What they REALLY need to make a high quality series about is Julian May's The Many Colored Land series.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
That was a good series. Ambitious, but I remember thinking the final book sort of lost its way. I should reread that. I never read May's other interconnected series. Did you, tgir?

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I read all of the Plieocene series --prequels and the whole of it. I started the Rampart series and Trillium but they didn't grab me the same way. I found Many Coloured Land first, and with each set, I fell in love more. I would really love to have it be an entire series of films or a television series. Strong characters and intriguing ideas.

bilki
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I happened upon the audiobook of The Stranger by Albert Camus on YouTube, so I've been listening to it while driving. Interesting POV character.

Krystal
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am reading Terror the book that will be the basis of the netflix
Series ( i think?). In any case it is really long about a thousand pages. I am about halfway through and I like it alot. It takes place in the 17 hundreds. I usually don't like books about that time. What bought it because I knew it was sort of a horror book. But it's fairly historically accurate about these guys trying to find the Northwest Passage. There was enough suffering and awful things happening to these people without having some kind of Supernatural thing going on. So I like it because I think it shows what these people went through to try to find this passage, how they froze and starved and we're not well equipped for the journey. So that was bad enough without introducing the monster. I really don't know at this point in time exactly what the supernatural thing is and I don't think we won't know until the end. However there are interesting characters and a lot of good material for a series if it is done correctly it should be really good.

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
There are so many dog lovers here that I feel the need to share: Dog Medicine by Julie Barton. A memoir/love story about how a puppy helped a young woman climb out of her depression. Fair warning: you will cry.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply