Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Books; and the Summer Reading Archive
Topic Started: Jun 25 2009, 11:48 AM (9,679 Views)
KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Summer Reading Archive Here
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Summer_readi.html (127.21 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh thank you KMI! I was meaning to capture this thread! Woo Woo!

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow, that was easy!

I like how the archive keeps the quotes, the icons, even the banners! Reading through it is easy. And there's a link at the top that takes you to the original threads. (I guess that lasts until the original archived Buzz fails?)

So, to start this off....

Read the latest Sookie Stackhouse novel Dead and Gone. (True Blood) The novels are getting a little tired, imo. The series is deviating from the books in major ways and I don't see how they would ever get to the same point as this recent novel by Harris. Which is fine by me, since this means the show is fresh to me despite having enjoyed the novels.

Finished War Horse this morning, about a cavalry horse living thru WWI (for school). A quick, easy read just right for 6th graders to learn a bit about WWI.

Bought a boxful of books last week for summer reading.

And for those who missed it in the Buffy Catch-All thread, (since I noticed SUCH a focus on Twilight In the recent posts in the archive)>>>>

The article sucks if you're a fan of seasons 5-7 of Buffy, so just watch the vid.

Buffy kicks Edward's *ss

Edward fans have been warned. lol
Edited by KMInfinity, Jun 25 2009, 12:01 PM.

Dan
[ * ]
Right now I am reading David Herbert Donald's biography of Lincoln. It's the last book in my personal study of Lincoln.

I'm also reading The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie and Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale.

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
I finally read "Twilight" while on vaca. I thought it was a little sophomoric but I kind of got it. I was confused about my daughters love of Alice. She promises that I will understand after reading "New Moon". She also says it is the book that sounds the most 'adult' in writing style. I guess I will give it a whirl. She actually gave me permission to read her copy of 'New Moon' while I had to purchase my own paperback of 'Twilight'. I guess I spoke thoughtfully enough about the book that I am not quote "a creepy teen stalker" unquote. (Yes, I do see the redundancy!)

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
KMInfinity
Jun 25 2009, 11:58 AM
Wow, that was easy!

I like how the archive keeps the quotes, the icons, even the banners! Reading through it is easy. And there's a link at the top that takes you to the original threads. (I guess that lasts until the original archived Buzz fails?)
I know the archive feature is wonderful!

Yes, the link at the bottom will be useless if the OLD GLBuzz board goes away so that is why it's important to grab what you want NOW!

~~~

Twilight ~ Love the whole series and like MY daughter I LOVED Alice. Amy you will see why later. I guess I like sophomoric reads. It keeps it simple for my tired brain. ;)

Right now I'm reading The Host by Stephenie Meyers along with the True Blood series. It's tough to go back and forth but I'm managing when I have time.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm halfway through The Hunger Games (recced by Maria) and it is awesome. Right up there with Ender's Game as a novel for teens that will cross over for adults and become a classic.

This will make a helluva movie...

Premise

-Post apocalyptic world, hundreds of years after global warming (and disease ?) have caused the *near* collapse of civilization. the rest of the world is out of touch. A shrunken North America is now known as Panem, stretching from the Rockies to Appalachia. The Capitol maintains some vestiges of technology, even some future tech, and brutally control 12 Districts as fiefdoms that are back in pre-industrial medieval times.

-The Reaping takes place year, for 12-18 yr olds (shades of Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery"). A boy and girl (called tribute) from each district is chosen to enter The Hunger Games, televised and promoted to entertain the masses while subtly rubbing the Districts' faces in the fact that they are subjugated and weak. The Games are to the death. (shades of Survivor)

-The first person narrator is sympathetic and pulls you into the story, metaphors for our culture abound, and the action, adventure, and drama are heartwrenching and heartstopping.

HIGHLY reccomended.

Maria
[ *  * ]
I'm glad you're enjoying it, KMI. I thought you would!

Part two, called "Catching Fire" comes out on Sept. 1st. Already saw a starred review for it!

Another young adult novel I read last year and loved (I ranked it second) is "Airman" by Eoin Colfer.

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK, In my defense I said that I thought the FIRST book was sophomoric, AND IT WAS! I am now finished with the second and I don't know if she found her voice or what, but this book was much better than the first! I have to say that I had to suspend some disbelief at the turns the story took, but I have to do that with most books and take no notice of it.

I was not suggesting that anyone who read it was lacking in ANY way, whatsoever. I like this series and am now about to go raid her bookshelf for the 3rd in the series. I'll get back later.

I do kind of love Jacob at this point. I think I get her attachment to Edward. I am just waiting to see how the next plays out.

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, I can see why she'd be attracted to Jacob and I was kind of pulling for him a bit too, but Edward just plain rocks. You have to read to the end of the series, that's all I'm going to say ;)

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
amy
Jun 30 2009, 12:04 AM
OK, In my defense I said that I thought the FIRST book was sophomoric, AND IT WAS! I am now finished with the second and I don't know if she found her voice or what, but this book was much better than the first! I have to say that I had to suspend some disbelief at the turns the story took, but I have to do that with most books and take no notice of it.

I was not suggesting that anyone who read it was lacking in ANY way, whatsoever. I like this series and am now about to go raid her bookshelf for the 3rd in the series. I'll get back later.

I do kind of love Jacob at this point. I think I get her attachment to Edward. I am just waiting to see how the next plays out.
Amy--I get what you are saying completely. I read the first one and thought it was just okay.....I really didn't get what all the hoopla was all about. Definitely better than the crappy movie though....OMG, that really sucked. I went ahead and read New Moon and REALLY liked it much, much better than Twilight. I'm now reading Eclipse (it took freaking forever to get here!) and am in the beginning, so I can't comment too much except to say that it's STILL better than the first one. I also love Jacob.......it was New Moon that sealed the deal with my Jacob love (probably since Edward was MIA for most of the book.....lol). I just wish that Jacob and Edward didn't hate each other so much. Bella needs both of them and they need to realize that fact.

I would love to read the Sookie Stackhouse books from I think I'll wait until after True Blood finishes its run on HBO. I don't want to become another disgruntled fan who hates it when the show deviates from the book and I'm loving the show sooooooooo much that I just don't want anything to ruin that enjoyment. Can't wait to finally read them though.....I have a feeling they will be much better than the Twilight series.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
I really think the Twilight series has 2 distinct fanbases. You are either on Edward's side or Jacobs. I personally was always in the Edward camp and loved Jacob as a BFF for Bella. I'm not going to say any more because I finished the series and I don't want to give away anything. I have a big mouth and I'm trying to keep it shut on this one.

Cheryl, I'm torn about reading the Sookie Stackhouse series. My buddy KMI was kind enough to send them to me and I'm into the first one but I 'think' I'm not going to read the next one until the Season 2 has ended. I don't know. KMI what do you think?

Jeannie
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I totally agree with you Gate! I loved Jacob as a BFF for Bella, but ALWAYS was on Team Edward!

The Hunger Games sounds like something I would really enjoy, so I may have to check that one out. I just bought "Change of Heart" by Jodi Piccoult the other day...I haven't even opened it yet, but heard quite some time ago that it is a really good book.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sookie Stackhouse novels and True Blood

Gate, all I can say is that the TV show deviated a great deal from the 1st book in S1 and even more so in Book 2. I think Ball is loosely taking some characters, settings, and situations and spinning them his own way.

I love both the books and the show, and see them as two separate things. I like that the show is so different because it means that I'm not much spoiled for the show. I can enjoy it almost as a new fan.

The biggest difference, imo, is that the novels are strongly from Sookie's point-of-view, told in the first person. The show is NOT from her point-of-view mush, and less so as time goes by (imo).

Other major differences...

*90% of Tara's stuff is totally different. Non-existent in the books.

*50% of Jason's stuff from S1 is different - especially ALL the stuff about *V* - 100% of Jason's stuff so far this season isn't in the books.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks KMI. I'm going to read the books now and not worry about being spoiled. ;)

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have Hunger Games on the way! I don't know what I'd do without everyone's recommendations. I'm going to have to start keeping a list though because once school starts back up I won't have time to read.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Hello,
What a great thread idea! I'm always looking for more books to read. I haven't read any of the Twilight books yet or the Sookie books....I hadn't heard anything about them until the movie and True Blood came out. And my little Library here in Paw Paw, well they pretty much don't get this type of book unless someone asks for it.

I did see the twilight movie. I came away wanting to see the next one but not really feeling the need to read the book but after reading Amy and Cheryl's posts
I think I'll give them a try. And the Sookie books...gonna have to start requesting the library get them.

I have been reading the Lara Adrian Midnight Breed Books. I've enjoyed them enough that I started buying them on Ebay.
On her web site she has detailed info on the books.[url=www.laraadrian.com/]Laura Adrian Midnight Breed[/URL]

I also read some of the Nora Roberts books that are about witches and such. The Circle Trilogy,
The Sign of Seven Trilogy, and The Three Sisters Trilogy to name a few. I didn't realize she wrote this type of book until I stumble on them at Ebay.

very glad that lexilou told me about this thread :clap:
Quote Post Goto Top

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I love those Nora Roberts books! And you must read the Twilight series, it's much better than the movie.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I am a huge Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb fan. The Twilight books blow away the movie. The movie is good but the books express so much more than a movie can. Shutting my mouth now.......

Deleted User
Deleted User

I will be checking with my library to see if they have the Twilight series in. They are pretty good about ordering books that aren't in stock. You all have me interested in seeing how different the first book is from the movie so I'm looking forward to it.
Quote Post Goto Top

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I recently finished a book that was totally different than the kind we are discussing right now. It was called Peony in Love, by Lisa See about China and ghosts in the 1600s.

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
blosslover
Jul 2 2009, 08:28 PM
I recently finished a book that was totally different than the kind we are discussing right now. It was called Peony in Love, by Lisa See about China and ghosts in the 1600s.
That sounds very interesting! I like all kinds of book, except maybe sci-fi.

I am now reading book 4 of the Twilight series! I have been unable to put them down since about half way through book two! She definitely got better. The first was a bit too much. I am wondering about her editor though. I have found several typo's while reading the last two books. Spell check does not catch everything!

tgir
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have Peony in Love but haven't started it yet. I've renewed my addiction to books. It's quite a problem: I need to quit my job so I can catch up on my reading but if I quit my job, I don't know how I'd afford my books!

Recently read: Mudbound (Hilary Jordan), The Help (Kathryn Sockett), Laura Rider's Masterpiece (Jane Hamilton) and A Reliable Wife (Robert Goolrick). I liked the last 3 more than the first of this set. The one by Jane Hamilton is probably the best, as it should be. But then, I tend to really like her books. These are what I've read in the last month. What can I say: I find most of tv to be very disappointing.

The Elegance of the Hedgehog is also terrific: Last Christmas, my husband and I separately chose and purchased this book for our daughter. I admit I chose it because I thought she'd like it and I thought I could borrow it. I ended up keeping the copy I bought and we both loved it.

I always read....everything. The last few years, less so. First, I was finishing my degree and it seems that while I read a lot, it was almost all science stuff--interesting but not using the same muscles as literature. Then, since I started my job and long commute, I've just had so much going on that I allowed my reading to fall aside. And I missed it so much that now I am re-dedicating myself to my obsession. If I ever go back to school again, I will be an English major and/or an art major. And I need to brush up on my French, learn Italian and Latin and Greek....Don't even get me started on the biology stuff I want to get at. So much to learn, damn job keeps getting in the way. That and sleep!
Edited by tgir, Jul 2 2009, 11:38 PM.

Jenni
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
tgir, I started getting books on cd to listen to on my drive to college. It's not as relaxing to me as reading but it's the only way I can get it in during classes. I don't know how long your commute to work is but it may be worth a try.

lexilou
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I tried the books on "tape" when I got my mp3 player, it came with a free trial to audiobooks. The first one I got was Richard North Patterson's Exile. I picked it because it had good reviews and was ridiculously long. I figured since it was free I should get more than a 100 page romance. The book was set amidst the tension between Palestine and Israel and put it in human perspective for me, not this country did this or that, but explored how it affects the people. I've let my subscription expire because the distraction it provided at work isn't really too much anymore and I get interuptted too much to really get into the stories again.

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
OK, I finished the Twilight 'saga'. The last book, IMO, sucked big wind. It also left too much open for it to be THE END.

I must say that I did love the second and third books! I am still torn between teams Edward and Jacob. I am still leaning towards Jacob, but only because of the last book.

I also just finished reading "Bluebeard" by Kurt Vonegut. I did NOT like "Slaughterhouse 5". I did actually like this book though. Go figure.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
amy
Jul 7 2009, 10:59 PM
OK, I finished the Twilight 'saga'. The last book, IMO, sucked big wind. It also left too much open for it to be THE END.

I must say that I did love the second and third books! I am still torn between teams Edward and Jacob. I am still leaning towards Jacob, but only because of the last book.
OMG Amy really? I LOVED the 3rd book. I thought it brought everything full circle and made complete sense.

Ew for still being on team Jacob. I'm scared to say too much in this thread because we may have some members who haven't read it but ewwww! LOL!

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
For all you Twilight fans that have read ALL the books and watch the movies I started a new thread just for us http://s1.zetaboards.com/Buzz/topic/1926786/1/#new :)

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm glad for that thread Gate as I have only seen the movie, and haven't touched the books yet. Wish the fourth one would come out in paperback already so I could get them all in a set.

KMInfinity
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I've added Peony in Love and the Elegance of the Hedgehog to my Amazon cart...

Books since last post -

Cesar Millan's Dog book - Cesar's Way - He's pretty controversial, because he doesn't limit himself to positive reinforcement, but I agree with most of his stuff. I agree with his take on dog psychology/pack mentality, which is backed by most scientific study, as opposed to the American tendency to anthropomorphize and treat pets as human.

Lois McMaster Bujold - The Sharing Knife Vol. 4 - Thousands of years after a post apocalyptic disaster, the world slowly recovers...the continuing the love story of a girl from the Farmer culture and a hard bitten Patroller from the LakeWalker culture, whose mission is to protect humanity from the powerhungry mutant Malices that arise as a result of ancient science gone awry. Top notch writer, superb science fiction.

Jeanne Birdsall - The Penderwicks - A really great 9-12 yr old novel about 4 sisters on vacation. The style reminds me of Nesbit, Eager, but without any magic. Just an ordinary bunch of kids having ordinary summer adventures. Big controversy over it winning the National Book Award when it was so *ordinary* and not Meaningful and Important. Getting the sequel next week.

Barbara Hambly - Those Who Hunt the Night - Awesome vampire novel, with a sequel I'm starting soon. Set in early 1907, an Oxford don who doubles as a British spy in Europe is forced by the vampires of London to act as their *daytime* agent and help them discover who is killing vampires. Fast paced, creative, disturbing, well written. And some creepy real life background: I never knew about the catacombs of Paris---

Click cautiously....this is a virtual tour of the catacombs of Paris, including ossuaries of thousands, millions, of bones moved from the city cemeteries.... http://triggur.org/cata/

Another link... http://www.quovadimus.org/paris/cat/thumb.html

Edited by KMInfinity, Jul 10 2009, 09:59 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Movies & Books · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: