Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings March 10-March14
Topic Started: Mar 20 2008, 02:35 PM (589 Views)
blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'm not sure what Pepsi is asking, which is why I didn't attempt to answer. Is the question how does SON get their ratings information, or is it how do the Nielsen ratings work?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks tanyia2.

The Nielsen company asks people if they are willing to have their viewing information tracked. These families (now they also do some college campuses and a couple of other public places) are given a box called a People Meter that records what is watched in that household. For sweeps (Feb, May, November), the ratings are looked at as more important by the programs and define the rate the advertisers will have to pay to air commercials during a particular program. In those months, others outside the normal Nielsen families may get a journal to write down what they watched a certain week. Before the People Meters, everyone had the journals that they sent back to Nielsen to be tabulated.

I've never been a Nielsen ratings family, though I once did the radio equivalent which is called Arbitron.

You can subscribe to the Nielsen Ratings Report and have it e-mailed to you. Some people are lucky enough to know someone or work somewhere that pays to get this information. The information SON posts has the ratings (Live + same day) which means it is whomever watched a soap that day whether it was while the show was airing or on a DVR or VCR. SoapNet and on-line viewing is not factored into Nielsen.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Guiding Light · Next Topic »
Add Reply