Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
TVBuzz is open for new registration.

Join our community!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Renewed / Done / Bubble; For Coming Back '08-'09
Topic Started: Mar 16 2008, 06:57 AM (1,507 Views)
luvbig97
[ * ]
dax
Mar 20 2008, 08:17 PM
>>>October Road

Oh. Sorry. Very probably not coming back.

**SMH..

If you liked Dylan McDermott in this, watch more of The Practice when you get a chance. I like him- good actor. And Vartan's Alias was great fun, but also frustrating at times... it had good and 'eh' periods.

**I've breen meaning to catch that...you know I love me some Boston Legal (i think i remember you guys stating it was a sort of spinoff, or something)

>>>I really wanted to unlock the mystery of what happened in that bank...

ABC.com showed the rest of the episodes- I watched them... McBride's character was in on the robbery, it was sad...

**sad part is....I can't even remember who McBride is

>> they were victims of scheduling, just like my Reunion.

Not really scheduling's fault (though Reunion WAS hurt by a Presidential address in its first few weeks, I remember) - it was that not enough people were interested in watching them.

*the presidential address and the world series killed Reunion.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

luvbig97
[ * ]
Cheryl
Mar 21 2008, 02:04 PM
Luvbig--somehow or other, I got sucked into October Road this past season too. So much that I bought the first season on dvd to get caught up. Sadly I agree with Dax......I don't think there's a chance in hell it's coming back for another season. The ratings were REALLY low, it was pretty much universally hated by the critics.......I just don't see much of a future for it. I'm with you on the Sam thing. But you just KNOW that Nick has to be his father though.....come on! The peanut allergy thing, their close connection, and besides that Nick and Hannah belong together!!! :couple:
I so agree Cheryl, but I missed the episode it was revealed that Eddie and Hannah had something going (it's not avail online)...but when they were showing the previews for the second season I was think that Eddie was the father.

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
luvbig97
Mar 26 2008, 04:54 PM
I so agree Cheryl, but I missed the episode it was revealed that Eddie and Hannah had something going (it's not avail online)...but when they were showing the previews for the second season I was think that Eddie was the father.
Luvbig--they never did reveal whether or not Eddie and Hannah had a fling or not. I know they made it look like it might have happened and I thought it would have been a fantastic storyline, but then that storyline seemed to have suddenly been dropped and you never heard another thing about it. It was a little frustrating to say the least. That was one of my problems with the show. I thought it had great potential but it never fully reached that potential and sometimes focused on stupid storylines (Physical Phil and Pizza Girl) when it had better ones in the wings (Nick/Hannah, Nick and his relationship with his Dad....I LOVE Tom Berenger!) just waiting to be tapped. And sadly now, we will probably never know. :(

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> you know I love me some Boston Legal (i think i remember you guys stating it was a sort of spinoff, or something)

Right. Spader's Alan Shore became the Practice show lead after McDermott left (after seven seasons). Practice 8 was the 'transition' into Boston Legal (Shatner and the Crane/Poole/Schmidt firm premiered in the last six Practice eps).

>> I can't even remember who McBride is

Chi McBride - black actor, cool voice... Boston Public's principal, now on Pushing Daisies... was Malcolm, the bank manager with the traumatized teenage daughter...

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Amanda
[ * ]
So...ummm....for sure no more Big Shots?

I know, I know. That whole tranny thing was STUPID.

But other than that, I really fell for this show. (I'm sorry, Dax. I just couldn't help myself.) It was my guilty pleasure. And HELLOOOO Dylan McDermott is freaking hot. Plus, it had a lot of familiar faces of old from GL and even Peyton List from ATWT.

I figured it was a goner, but I was holding out a little inkling of hope. So, go ahead and put me out of my misery.

Sad....

I am just going to cling to my NUMB3RS and new favorite Big Bang Theory and stop trying to pick up any more new shows ever. Because this always happens to me.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
No more Big Shots. Although there are two produced-but-have-not-aired episodes... you may still get to see those at some point, on-line, or on dvd...

You do get a second season of Big Bang Theory.

Amanda
[ * ]
dax
Mar 27 2008, 11:29 AM
No more Big Shots. Although there are two produced-but-have-not-aired episodes... you may still get to see those at some point, on-line, or on dvd...

You do get a second season of Big Bang Theory.
Well, I feel ripped off (re: Big Shots) b/c I got all invested in Duncan getting back together with his ex-wife and now we'll never know! *Sigh*

But I am glad about Big Bang Theory. Though you say that as though you think a 2nd season is all I will get! (Or am I just paranoid now?) At any rate, that show is right up my alley with the dry, sarcastic humor (the reason I continually watch Frasier on DVD). But Jim Parsons (I think is the name) who plays Sheldon on BBT is just riotous. I could kiss his cute little nerdy self:

Sheldon: Diet Coke, please.

Penny: I need you to order a mixed drink, so I can practice bartending.

Sheldon: OK. I'll have a virgin Cuba Libre.

Penny: So, a rum and coke? Without the rum?

Sheldon: Yes.

Penny: So, a Coke.

Sheldon: Yes, and could you make it Diet?

LOL. Love him.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> Though you say that as though you think a 2nd season is all I will get! (Or am I just paranoid now?)

No idea (how long it'll last), didn't mean to infer anything there...

I have Frasier 1-6, need to get 7-11... haven't spent any time with the dvds, but will 'someday'... it was a great show, and I know that I missed quite a few in the middle there, and that's comforting to me, to know that there are 'new' (to me) Frasier episodes to watch, as well as re-watching all the old favorites...

Amanda
[ * ]
dax
Mar 27 2008, 03:14 PM
I have Frasier 1-6, need to get 7-11... haven't spent any time with the dvds, but will 'someday'... it was a great show, and I know that I missed quite a few in the middle there, and that's comforting to me, to know that there are 'new' (to me) Frasier episodes to watch, as well as re-watching all the old favorites...
We're in the same boat there. I have 1-6 and the final season, which will remain unopened until I get all the others. I'm OCD, so I have to watch them in order. I'm on my 2nd run through on the DVDs I have and just finished the third season. I didn't catch them all when they originally ran, either. But that is just a great show. And I adore Niles/David.

There really aren't any sitcoms that fill that void. I was also a big Mad About You fan, but those freaking seasons are taking forever to release. I also got the first season of Perfect Strangers and that is so much fun. Do you remember that show? ("Of course I do. Don't be ridiculous!") I remember when it was on TGIF -- and I was, I guess, 10 or so at the time, so TGIF was where it was at for me -- staying up all the way till 10:00 on Fridays!

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
I have Mad About You 1-3 (well, 3 is still wrapped- a belated Christmas present for my wife...) - she loved that show (and I liked it, but missed a lot of that one, too, so... 'someday'). Hope 4-7 do eventually come out... I hate 'dropped' series...

I liked Perfect Strangers, but don't need to have it on dvd. But sometimes I will have the urge to do the Mepos Dance of Joy, or get the bibbibabka song stuck in my head...

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
I bought hubby WKRP for Christmas. We loved that show! I have been thinking about getting the "SOAP" discs. I know, I'm old.

dax, Frasier was great. The funniest thing I ever saw on regular TV was Niles trying to iron his pants. I cannot remember what season it was but was done in silence and I laughed so hard I cried through several tissues.

And Mad About You provided the name for the greatest cat ever (may he rest in peace), my Buchman.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> I bought hubby WKRP for Christmas. We loved that show!

Me, too, and that's been a 'holy grail' for many tv-on-dvd fans for a long time. Alas, couldn't be done with the music intact, and then a lot of people didn't want to buy it... (I may want it 'someday', but I'm going to wait 'til they've got more seasons out than just one or two...)

I'm still hopeful... if Miami Vice can (and it did) come out with ALL of its music intact... someday... I really need to have The Wonder Years on dvd (WITH its music). Still gonna be awhile, but... keeping hope alive.

>> I have been thinking about getting the "SOAP" discs. I know, I'm old.

I would like to watch those. I didn't, back when it was on, but always heard mostly great things- I think I'd have been a fan. Tried taping a marathon on cable once or twice a long time ago, but there was a tape screw-up, and... hassle hassle... dvd would absolutely be the way to go, and they're rather cheap (and I've seen two-for-one deals on them, too) pretty often...

>> Frasier was great.

Cheers, too. I'm very pleased that Frasier is now all out, and Cheers 9 is FINALLY on the schedule after a long stall... just two more to go... (and just as I hope The Ropers and Three's A Crowd will eventually 'complete' the Three's Company collection, I REALLY want the 13-show season of The Tortellis to go with Cheers-- and if they were really nice, they'd put with them -as a bonus- the Cliff/Norm and Frasier/Lillith guest spots on Wings - a show I didn't like, but I want the Cheers characters' appearances...).

>> The funniest thing I ever saw on regular TV was Niles trying to iron his pants.

Genius comedy, most definitely. Funny no matter how many times you see it...

Amanda
[ * ]
I also loved the Frasier episode where Niles thought Maris was cheating on him with her fencing instructor, and so they had the big sword-fight scene, while everyone was translating from English to Spanish to German and back again.

And I don't understand why Mad About You is taking so long to come out. When season 3 came out after SUCH a long hiatus and was done by a different company, I thought that was an indication that it was going to get on a regular schedule and go on to completion.

I'd like more Perfect Strangers, too. That show was such a part of my childhood that I am attached to it in that way. I was afraid that I would get it and realize that it wasn't really as funny as I remembered it, but no worries! It's still great. "America! Land of my dreams! Home of the Whopper!"

amy
Member Avatar
Elite Member
[ *  *  *  * ]
When I bought WKRP, I didn't realize it didn't have the music. What is the deal with that? I'm sure the money grubbing music powers could have found a reasonable way to get paid.

I was never a regular viewer of "Perfect Strangers".

Attaching the Tortellis to one of the seasons of Cheers or Frasier would be a great idea. I can't believe you didn't like Wings, Dax! Of course I was watching mostly for man eye candy!

I have a feeling this little conversation should have taken place in the TV on DVD thread!
Edited by dax, Mar 28 2008, 12:35 PM.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> And I don't understand why Mad About You is taking so long to come out. When season 3 came out after SUCH a long hiatus and was done by a different company, I thought that was an indication that it was going to get on a regular schedule and go on to completion.

Same company - all Sony. After 1 and 2 (Oct 02 and Apr 03) , it was pretty much... 'cancelled'... got a 'best of' collection in Feb 05 (which is not what anyone wants, but given that it might be all the more that ever comes - and I understand they did put together a nice collection of extras and stuff)... and have now attempted a re-launch, with Season 3 coming out last February. Sales dictate what gets released. If sales are strong enough... if they're not... we're left hanging.

Fox has abandoned Hill Street Blues after two, NYPD Blue after four, and The Bob Newhart Show after four (c'mon, just TWO more...). Paramount abandoned Taxi after three (also- just TWO more...). It's frustrating.

>> I didn't realize it didn't have the music. What is the deal with that? I'm sure the money grubbing music powers could have found a reasonable way to get paid.

No, no reasonable way. They're SO money grubbing... the rights to some of these songs (even if they were only in a show for ten-fifteen seconds) are SO insanely out-of-control... there's no way the studios could put out the discs with the music intact. Or if they did... WKRP's retail price per season might be... um, like, $500 or something crazy like that. It's the recording industry's fault- they're completely unreasonable. So generic replacement music is inserted instead. Sometimes, it's replacing something totally indeliably imprinted on your memory (Wiseguy - end of the Steelgrave arc- Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin... nope, not on the dvd...).

Also frustrating is that this isn't limited to 'old' series. I mean, there, it's somewhat understandable... WKRP used a lot of music - the contracts weren't covered to handle, you know, dvd, or even home video/vhs - it was tv-only... but you'd think any show being made TODAY would have all that worked out, deals in place to INCLUDE the eventual inevitable dvd release... and yet, My Name Is Earl 1 came out with replacement music.

And then there's the issue of syndication cuts (often 3-4 minutes shorter than the original network airing) being put out on dvd... first season of Rosanne used the wrong cuts, but she and fan complaints got the rest of the series put out correctly... but a bunch - 3rd Rock From The Sun, Alf... all using the cut-up shows. That totally sucks.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> Attaching the Tortellis to one of the seasons of Cheers

Ideally, it would have been with Cheers 5 (the same season, 86-87). But it's too late for that...

But a Tortellis set with those two Cheers-people-on-Wings episodes... that'd be great.

Amanda
[ * ]
dax
Mar 28 2008, 12:32 PM
>> I didn't realize it didn't have the music. What is the deal with that? I'm sure the money grubbing music powers could have found a reasonable way to get paid.

No, no reasonable way. They're SO money grubbing... the rights to some of these songs (even if they were only in a show for ten-fifteen seconds) are SO insanely out-of-control... there's no way the studios could put out the discs with the music intact. Or if they did... WKRP's retail price per season might be... um, like, $500 or something crazy like that. It's the recording industry's fault- they're completely unreasonable.
I hate those jerks. I mean, come on. It's ridiculous.

And in my feeble attempt to stick it to the man, I would like to take this moment to recommend a brilliant musician who is going it alone and just finished his self-produced (self-everything!) full length album at the end of December. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he surely is mine. And these struggling musicians need all the help they can get:

www.leviweaver.com

(You can link to other sites like myspace, etc from there to give him a listen, or cdbaby.com and itunes to purchase and support.)

Enjoy. Consider it my little musical gift to you.

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
The whole issue of music on DVD sets is frustrating. If I hear that a set won't have original music (sometimes using the foreign music tracks) or they use the syndicated/edited versions I may not buy the series. I remember one show (I can't recall which one,) where they didn't release a DVD version of it because the price for the opening credit song was too expensive and then they may have ended up using an alternative track for it. Say what?!

Cheryl
Member Avatar
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
Oh man....don't even get me started on the music on dvd thing! :rant:

I'm still pissed that they ruined my absolute FAVORITE scene of the entire Wiseguy series--the scene where Vinny and Sonny fight almost to the death and then weirdly kind of make up while they're in this deserted movie theater and Sonny plays Nights in White Satin on the jukebox. It was a great moment in the series.....one I will always remember. And on the dvd some shitty music has replaced it. I can't even watch the scene anymore and it used to be my alltime favorite. Seriously, they destroyed that scene for me by doing that!

And I want my Ally McBeal Season 4 dvd with Robert Downey, Jr. and I want it now!!! :taz:

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not surprised that the Wiseguy disk was that upsetting. I think it sucks.

With Soap, I was lucky enough to be able to watch 10-12 years ago on Comedy Central as it aired at a time I was free. It is weird how it was a soap parody then, but many of the outrageous things on it, actually came to pass in daytime in the years after it was produced. The best part about Wings was Tony Shaloub, though I wasn't into that show. With Cheers, my favorite years were the early ones, by the end it just wasn't as amusing.

The last DVD sets of television shows I got were The OC season three, and Grosse Pointe. I have yet to watch either as I just completed the Oswald The Lucky Rabbit series.

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> didn't release a DVD version of it because the price for the opening credit song was too expensive and then they may have ended up using an alternative track for it.

Tour of Duty dvd - no theme (Rolling Stones - Paint it Black).

Las Vegas doesn't use 'Little Less Conversation' (on each episode- I think it may be on one of the menus on one of the discs- it was cheaper to do it that way, something like that...).

Later seasons of Married... With Children don't have 'Love and Marriage' as its theme...

blosslover
Member Avatar
Elite Members
[ *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Dax. I figured you could answer that one. :) That's exactly what I was posting about.

Due to the writer's strike does it seem like more shows are coming back in the fall than normal?

I have to admit I'm curious about what NBC is going to say at their super early upfronts.

BL

Dax
Admin
[ *  *  *  * ]
>> Due to the writer's strike does it seem like more shows are coming back in the fall than normal?

Might turn out to be the usual 'about 1 in 3 new shows survive' average when it's all said and done. Biggest difference was in 'gonna die' shows getting more time than they otherwise would have in a normal season (all 13 got aired of Journeyman, Cane, 11/13ths of Big Shots) and early renewal announcements for shows that might NOT have made it in a normal season (Life, Dirty Sexy Money).

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Posted by Dax

USA Today says eleven bubble shows are left - annual save our shows poll...

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2008-04-06-SOS-bubble-shows_N.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...ble-shows_N.htm[/url]

ABC
Boston Legal - I'll watch more if they make more. If they're done, I'll be okay.
Eli Stone - I didn't watch beyond the second show, but I'll be rather surprised if they get a Season 2.
Women's Murder Club - Dependent on the last three shows of the season, how they do... they're trying it in the BL Tuesday slot...

CBS
Moonlight - Do they want another fan cult revolt?
The New Adventures of Old Christine - ABC trying to pick this one up if CBS drops it.
Rules of Engagement
Shark - I imagine it's kinda expensive.
The Unit - I will be sad if this is dead.

Fox
Back To You - I watch it and kinda like it, but won't be too sad if it's one-and-out.
Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles - Ausiello and Kristin both saying they hear it's a go.

CW
Reaper - I'll watch more if they make more (and think it might get better in a second season). But if they're done, I'll be okay.

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2008-04-06-save-our-shows-main_N.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/ne...hows-main_N.htm[/url]

Link to survey - [url="http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/survey-intro.zgi?p=WEB227N4RGPDGW"]http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/survey-int...=WEB227N4RGPDGW[/url]

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Ausiello-Scoop-Favorite/800037719

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Aliens in America ~ Liked it at first but I'm already tired of it.

Back to You ~ Never liked it.

Big Shots ~ Didn't watch.

Boston Legal ~ Didn't watch.

Cane ~ Didn't watch.

Cashmere Mafia ~ I liked this show so it figures it's done.

Cavemen ~ Didn't watch.

Eli Stone ~ It's Mr. Gatekeepers favorite at the moment and I really like it a lot. Gosh I hope this isn't the kiss of death for it now that I've said I like it.

How I Met Your Mother ~ Love it.

Las Vegas ~ ~ Didn't watch.

Law & Order: Criminal Intent ~ ~ Didn't watch.

Life Is Wild ~ Didn't watch.

Men in Trees ~ Came late to the party and hubby hated it so it got booted from the DVR fast.

Moonlight ~ Love it. Where can I give blood? bigwink.gif

New Amsterdam ~ Amsterdam is so fricken HOT what's not to love!

The New Adventures of Old Christine ~ Didn't watch.

Reaper ~ I agree with Ausiello... it should be a good show but it's missing something.

Shark ~ ~ Didn't watch.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles ~ Favorite Favorite Favorite!

The Unit ~ Didn't watch.

Women's Murder Club ~ I thought the show was boring. I watched about 4 episodes but never got hooked.

Gatekeeper
Member Avatar
Elite Member ^..*
[ *  *  *  * ]
Dax's tally ~

Quote:

Aliens in America ~ I like it, but can live just fine without.

Back to You ~ I abandoned, then caught up during the strike. I like it, even though I'm generally 'over' sitcoms. Don't know if I like it enough to watch it next season (if there is one), but it'd probably go on my 'maybe someday on dvd' list like other 'I used to watch ___' series like CSI or Without A Trace.

Big Shots ~ Pilot sucked ass.

Boston Legal ~ Good show, but I'd be okay without more.

Cane ~ Pilot was so-so; Nestor Carbonell is needed at Lost.

Cashmere Mafia ~ Looked terrible, but I didn't try it.

Cavemen ~ Too terrible to even try.

Eli Stone ~ Dropped after two. Kinda surprised to read that the renewal chances are so strong.

How I Met Your Mother ~ Not for me, but I know it's a decent-to-good sitcom. I've read ABOUT good stuff on it (20-minute anti-Ted song on a site- funny, getting Barney to homage Doogie- very funny, hiring Sarah Chalke- great move), but every time I took a peek myself, I wasn't all that impressed with it... But I do love that Aly Hannigan, you know.

Las Vegas ~ Watched, but I'm glad it's gone. 'Twas a 'guilty' pleasure...

Law & Order: Criminal Intent ~ Don't watch.

Life Is Wild ~ Didn't watch.

Men in Trees ~ First couple episodes were so-so, but I dropped it.

Moonlight ~ Pilot sucked ass.

New Amsterdam ~ Didn't watch.

The New Adventures of Old Christine ~ I read good things... think I saw the pilot, but I don't remember now...

Reaper ~ If it continues, I think it'd get better... If it doesn't, that's fine, though.

Shark ~ Boring pilot/premise.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles ~ I want more.

The Unit ~ I REALLY want another year.

Women's Murder Club ~ Pilot was so-so, but I didn't care to watch more.

FX - The Riches; AMC - Breaking Bad; HBO - In Treatment - More, please.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Primetime Shows · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: