Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Announcements

The Exodus is now: http://s1.zetaboards.com/DarkRain/index/
Photobucket
  • Pages:
The Diary of Dr Valeria Lector; A Half-Life 2 Fan Fiction
Topic Started: Jan 8 2009, 04:00 AM (341 Views)
Sparky
Member Avatar
Roleplayer
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Entry 11, the Black Mesa Incident Part 3

Sorry for ending last night’s entry so abruptly. Barney dropped by for visit to have a quick chat with Kliener and I. It was going fine until Markey landed perfectly onto Barney’s skull and began to slobber profusely. Barney absolutely hates headcrabs, in fact I can’t think of anything else he hates more. He even has a nickname for them, ‘head humpers’. Anyways, I don’t think I have to go into detail about how upset he was to discover that the lab now had an extra headcrab roaming around, one that was head happy as well. Dr. Kleiner tried to explain that Markey just needed to be disciplined better but Barney just stormed out. I’m sure he will come back soon.

Anyway, where did I leave off yesterday…ah yes entering the Lambda Complex. When the doors opened to the complex, a huge wave of anger and grief swept over me like a tidal wave. A large number of the scientists and research associates that I had worked closely with had been murdered. Even if I didn’t like all of them, no one deserved a death like that, no one. Many of the doors and passageways that led to the main teleportation chamber had been blocked by bits of wreckage or had just caved in all together. This made it hard for me to chart where I would try to head to in order to arrive at the main teleporter. However in the end I chose hallway A-63, a path that would lead me directly to Level A of the Lambda Complex.

Upon venturing down the passage I ran into a friend, or so I had thought at the time. Spot was facing in the other direction, his tail swaying almost like it was in harmony. Taking a few steps closer I realized that he was feasting on the corpse of David Williams; a friend of mine who was a highly trained and considerate security guard. Seeing this caused me to be overcome with rage but I wasn’t sure what to do. A good friend of mine was being devoured by another friend, even if that friend was a bullsquid.

I quickly made up my mind that I would have to end up using a weapon for the first time. I aimed the pistol steadily at Spot and fired. Spot leapt into the air a few feet as if though he had been frightened. He turned around slowly giving me a look of confusion and shock. I’m not sure if he remembered who I was or not, but none the less his animal instinct eventually took over. Our fight began like a demented dance. Spot quickly shot out bile colored acid from his mouth as I desperately tried to dodge the material. At the same time I was trying my best to shoot Spot, but unfortunately I wasn’t very good at aiming back then. After what seemed like an hour, Spot finally fell to the ground with a whining sound.

Shortly after our fight I fell to the ground as well, weeping. Not only because of the pain but because of everything that had happened. I tried my best to lift the melted armor off, but I was too weak from the other acidic wounds I had obtained. My skin felt like it was on fire, my armor was completely destroyed, my weapon chamber was empty and I had no spare ammo. I wasn’t going to make it. I told myself this over and over before finally I hit the cold ground, hoping that I soon would be able to join Spot and David. Then everything went black…

I’m not sure how long I lay on that hard linoleum, but at some point my rescuer came. I remember waking up to see Dr. Kliener wrapping my wounds, and then glancing over to see a few other scientists. Even though I was still out of it, I did my best to take in what Kleiner had been telling me. He started off by telling me how he made it out of Sector C and arrived at Sector F. He, like myself, figured he would be able to use the main teleport chamber in Level A to forever escape the facility. Once he had made it into the Lambda Complex he found me and thought I was dead. He then went on to say he saw that I was still breathing and took me back to the area we were currently in at the time, Level A.

Once I had finally fully awoken, Kleiner did his best to explain what had caused everything to happen. A Resonance Cascade had occurred due to the purity and the unstableness of the GG-3883 Xen crystal sample. In other words, an inter-dimensional rift had been formed between Earth and Xen causing beings from both dimensions to exist on both plains. He also went on to say that if someone didn’t somehow close the rift soon, then the cascade would spread throughout the rest of our world. Luckily however, Kleiner told me that he heard that some members of the Hazard Team had stayed behind to do two things. The first was to call in the military to help evacuate Black Mesa, and the second was to prepare a rocket that when launched, would close the rift. In my mind both of these plans seemed almost too good to be true, but Kleiner seemed satisfied so we proceeded to head to one of the smaller chambers instead of the main one. I’m still not sure why he was so stubborn on using a different chamber but oh well. I’ll have to ask him about it someday.

The short trip to Teleportation Chamber #7-1 was fortunately uneventful alien wise. However zombie wise it was not. My first encounter with the zombies was like it had been with Spot. Some of these men had been my friends, how could I kill them? Kleiner however had no problems using his SPAS-12 shotgun to take off their heads. Now trying to picture someone as clumsy and absent minded as Kliener with a weapon was a thought that would have never crossed my mind until that day. However I quickly reminded myself that Kleiner was indeed on the Survey Team. Therefore he would have to have some sort of knowledge on how to use different weapons, and maybe even some combat tactics. Surprising I know…

Anyway after the zombies had been exterminated by Kleiner, we successfully made it into the chamber. That’s when disaster struck. The scientists that had been traveling with us were anxious to escape the facility. Foolishly they rushed into the chamber room only to be attacked by headcrabs. Only one out of the four survived since the fourth headcrab missed the scientist’s head. Kleiner rushed in to aid them as he tossed the shotgun to me, hopping that I would have the guts to kill the lone headcrab. This time I had no issues wanting to kill a living creature; in fact I wanted to kill it. As I carefully took aim, I fired a single shot sending the headscarf lifeless body to fly a few feet across the floor with a squirt of yellow blood. I was not used to using such a powerful weapon, and upon shooting my body jerked back causing my arm to feel like it had been dislocated. Surprisingly it felt good, it made me want to kill more.

There was a brief moment of silence before Kleiner told me that there was nothing that could be done to save the scientists. The best we could do for the poor souls would be to put them to rest. Not even five seconds had passed before I aimed the shotgun at each scientist’s head and fired. At this point I think something like a door opened within myself, a door that was better off being closed always. New emotions began to rush through me as older ones seemed to vanish. All that was left was anger, hate, and the need to survive.

Kleiner must have noticed that something in my expression had changed for he took the weapon out of my hands and gave me a few quick comforting words. I’m not sure what they were, but it was enough to temporarily close that door. Sometimes even today that door reopens when I’m fighting against rouge Xen forces and zombies. It can be handy to have when you’re trying to survive but it’s best to shut it immediately after a battle. Who knows how screwed up I might get if it were to remain open…

But, as close as I am to finishing about Black Mesa I’m too tired to want to write anymore. Besides tomorrow is a big day and I’ll need sleep to be able to think clearly. Good night.

– Val
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sparky
Member Avatar
Roleplayer
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Entry 12, the Cat and the Teleporter

Well, today started off relatively boring, got exciting, and ended in dismal (kind of anyway). I awoke bright and early this morning eager to conduct the experiments Kleiner and I had planned out for the teleportation chamber. After completing all the basic mechanical checkups we gathered the ‘test subjects’, otherwise known as a crate, a book (Moby Dick), a tin can, and a glass of water. Dr. Vance in Black Mesa East was to be the recipient of our materials, and we were to be his as he sent the same materials through to test his teleporter at different times.

The first test passed with flying colors. Apparently wooden materials, like crates, are practically nonexistent when being teleported. The second test was almost a pass, but both the books on both sides came across with the pages on the outside. We still haven’t figured out why that happened yet. You would think that because a book’s paper is made from a tree’s wood that it would have came through fine, but oh well we will ponder it later. The third test was a complete failure at least for our side. Dr. Eli’s tin can came to us in a perfect shape if not even straighter then it had been before. Our can however arrived at Black Mesa East completely melted and deformed. We figure it must have had something to do with some defaulted wires or with a bad energy input/output. A quick but thorough search led us to discover that indeed some of the wires leading to the main power supply had been frayed. After replacing the wires we re-tested with a second tin can only to reveal that new wires did nothing new; once again another problem that will be pondered upon later.

The fourth test was the most interesting. Both sides after teleporting the glass of water had come back with different results. For our glass of water, it arrived at Eli’s in a perfect state with a perfect temperature. For his glass of water, it arrived at the lab with a temperature of over 120 C°! Also half the volume of the water had evaporated, which was not surprising because of the degree of heat that the glass had come back with. We decided to test each glass again, making absolutely sure that both glasses had matching variables. This results the second time around were complete opposites. Our glass had a very high temperature while Eli’s arrived in a perfect shape. After much debate we decided it was to be a fail for one major reason. Human bodies possess a great amount of water. If a person was to be teleported to a certain area, they would probably end up exploding before they even got there. Since both glasses came back both times with different states, it was safe to assume that the teleporter was in no condition to be tested with live subjects. Well maybe headcrabs, but Kleiner was more than against that.

The time spent after that was more experiments involving the same objects with some minor to major tweaks on the chamber. It got boring, and it got boring fast. Luckily Barney dropped by for a visit with an interesting guest, a cat. I’m not sure how else to put this but, I absolutely adore cats and probably more than almost anything or anyone else as well. While that may seem sad or pathetic to say, it’s completely true. Anyway, as soon as I saw the cat I think I forgot about Barney and rushed to stroke the tiny brown and black striped feline. I immediately fell in love and began to cuddle with him (yes it’s a he, I checked) as Barney seemed to look disappointed that his presence had been almost completely overlooked for a cat.

Kleiner, who had stopped the tests temporarily for lunch, came back with a look of shock. Cats (and other animals) had not often been seen after the war, so Kleiner and I pretty much blurted out the same question at the same time. Where on Earth had Barney found this tiny kitty? Barney had no problem telling us of how a citizen had found the cat in an alleyway. She had desperately wanted to keep him, but knew that if her apartment complex was raided by the Combine they would surely kill her feline friend. Barney obviously not being an animal lover wasn’t exactly sure what to do. His original thought was to release the cat on the far edges of City 17, but even he knew that was too cruel. Even though he hated the thought of yet another animal wandering around Kleiner’s lab, he figured it would be the most humane to donate the little kitty to me as an early birthday present.

Without a further word I accepted the cat and began to think of a name for him. I was so excited and I felt like a young child who had just visited the pet shop. I had a cat before, her name was Natasha. She was a beautiful Calico with yellow eyes that seemed to glow, and with a personality that shined even brighter. I remember coming home from school and heading up to my room only to find her there waiting for me purring. She had the smallest yet most dignified meow I had ever heard from a cat, and she often liked to express it. About a month before I had graduated high school she came down with a bad virus. The doctors didn’t even need to tell me that her weakened immune system wouldn’t be able to fight it off. She lived a long and happy life though, that to which I’m glad for.

Seems I’ve wondered off yet again into my past; I’ve got to stop doing that. I eventually came up with a name for my cat though, Vladimir, Vlad for short. He’s a curious little cat who likes to look everywhere with his emerald green eyes and to stick his pink nose where it doesn’t belong. At one point he even ran into Markey and Lamarr’s cage/bed. At first I thought for the worst like I had when Markey met Lamarr. I was yet again proved wrong as Markey and Vlad began to playfully tackle each other while Lamarr looked on calmly. To think that a couple of headcrabs and a cat had somehow formed that quickly into a sort of abnormal family made me feel a feeling I had not felt in awhile, joy. Kleiner also seemed to share the same feelings I did towards their meeting but he was quickly distracted as Eli re-appeared on the monitor screen.

Thus it was back to work as we began to test other materials in the chamber. Things were going fine, even better than the last tests. Barney had even decided to stick around and chat a bit, regardless of the playful animals at his feet. Then out of nowhere the sound of like a person being tortured filled the air. I frantically looked around for the source of the sound only to realize that the noise was coming from both Vladimir and Barney combined. Vlad was climbing up Barney’s left leg yowling as though he was possessed; Barney was howling in pain as he was trying to detach Vlad’s tiny sharp claws from his leg. I hurried over to attempt to help Barney but before I could, he kicked his leg at almost light speed sending Vlad flying into the teleport chamber. Kleiner who had barely taken any notice to the event began the teleport sequence causing the chamber to rise with a large wooden crate, and Vlad.

Vlad paid no attention as the sequence began, and in fact he was purring as though he had completely forgotten what he had just done to Barney. I shouted to Kleiner to stop the chamber but it was too late. Vlad had been teleported to Black Mesa East along with the wooden crate. I rushed over to the monitor expecting the worse but hoping for the best. Eli eventually appeared and told us that the crate had come across perfectly, however nothing was said about a cat. I asked desperately if there had been a cat, and Eli disappeared with a look of confusion from the screen to search. Seconds seem like minutes, and minutes seemed like hours, until finally Eli returned to the screen with a quizzical look. He held up Vlad and said he had found the cat tucked away inside the crate.

Vladimir meowed a small and tired meow, only to curl up and fall asleep in Eli’s hand shortly after. For a long while we thought about what to do with Vlad. It had been a sheer miracle that he had survived being teleported, so it was probably best not to try it again. Eli assured me that Vlad would be taken care of before shutting off the screen to say goodnight. I really do think it turned out best this way. Now we know that a living creature can survive being teleported in our home made teleporter (even if it was just luck). However, I think it would be best if we didn’t test the chamber again with a living subject until we are completely sure that it’s safe. I know I’ll miss Vlad, but I’ll see him again if I get transferred. For now though I have to get some kind of sleep, so good night.

– Val

P.S. By the way Barney stormed out again after the incident between him and Vladimir. He told me before he left that he swears he will forever have nightmares about Vlad’s yowl. He is so dramatic sometimes, but that’s Barney for ya.
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Writing · Next Topic »
Photobucket
  • Pages:

Black Water created by tiptopolive of IDS